Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chewing!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by scatatonic, Feb 3, 2020.

1. scatatonic

scatatonic PetForums Junior

Can anyone offer any advice on how to stop a kitten chewing? This is not a new problem but I did think he would grow out of it! He is now 7 months. I've had his teeth checked and he's all normal (no baby teeth left) but he chews constantly. Because he's indoors I was worried it might be a boredom thing, vet agreed, but he is never really left alone. I've trained him to wear a harness and take him out for walks several times a day (we have a huge back garden) he has pots of grass, has pretty much every toy it is possible to buy (crinkly tunnels, interactive robot, catit senses, play tower, chew toys) but he wakes at 5 every morning and starts chewing wires straight away... I have tried to proof my house as much as possible but unfortunately we live in a 1940's house with essentially one socket per room so trailing extensions (surge protected) are everywhere. Am terrified he is going to electrocute himself. Have purchased wire covers but these don't fully protect everything.. not sure what else I can do! He has stopped climbing my curtains (yay!) and we have agreed he can continue to scratch (trash) the one sofa if he respects the rest of my furniture... so other than the chewing he is an angel x

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

One of my girls was the same as a kitten. Fortunately she mostly grew out of by the time she was 18 months old. (she is now 6 y/o). But because of her history of chewing I am still wary about wires and for than reason I would not have lights on my Christmas tree.

I have covered all wires with the zip-on covers as far as possible. I unplug all appliances when they are not in use. (just plug them in when I need to use them). I am also very conscientious about putting wires for phone chargers, computer chargers etc away in a drawer when they are not in use, and only charge items overnight, when my girl is shut out of the bedroom.

My girl's chewing diminished a lot once she was allowed free access (at a year old) to my cat-proofed garden. In spite of her having loads of toys, plenty of daily interactive playtime with me and space indoors to run around, jump, climb etc, it was not enough to keep her from getting bored and restless. The garden held so many more delights for her than being indoors. She has always loved the independence of being able to come and go through the cat flap and I can allow her to do this because she is safe in the garden. :)

scatatonic likes this.
  3. scatatonic

scatatonic PetForums Junior

18 months - arghhh! First chewy cat I've had lol but it's quite terrifying! I rent so can't cat proof my garden unfortunately - the sheer size of it would make it extremely expensive. He is such a loving affectionate cat but not an ounce of sense so can't risk letting him roam free. Am doing all the things you suggest - have even taken to covering my PC equipment with a duvet when not in use... am inclined to think he's the type of cat that needs his freedom though, endless energy and sleeps very little! walks around the house demanding attention constantly. I wanted an affectionate people cat but oh my he's hard work!!! Think I'm getting too old for kittens ha ha

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

As you rent your home you could put up a lean-to enclosure for him leading off the house with access by a cat flap. Cheap wood for a frame and birdcage wire for the mesh.

Or a freestanding model like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/4wire-Catio-ladders-shelves-secure/dp/B073BJBL8J/ref=sr_1_14_sspa?crid=6JR3E9DURXB9&keywords=cat+runs+and+enclosures&qid=1580756566&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=cat+runs+,pets,151&sr=1-14-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNjYxME1XMUZZOTFGJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDQ5OTY1MktPRlpaU0xFSjNYQiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzUwMTQyM1EzM0JGNUJKT1RZSSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Catio-Ca...hash=item5b6a9684da:m:mOVU6KLS45ldj9HSSbvn0aw

Make sure it is tall enough so you can have tall cat trees inside so he can sit up high.

These type of enclosures can easily be dismantled when you move.

There won't be much room for him to run around in one of these but it is the fact he has some safe access to the outdoors without having to be on a harness and leash every time that's important. Being able to come and go from the house when he pleases (through a cat flap into the enclosure) will make a big difference to him as it will give him a feeling of independence.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice