Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

chewing

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I am assuming that new puppy (labrador cross poodle terrier) is exceptionally prone to chewing and eating everything in sight because of the retriever in her. She is 8 weeks andinto absolutely everything. I simply raise my voice and remove her from what she is chewing, providing her with a better alternative like one of her toys or chews. Is there a better way to try and stop this behaviour (as I am also worried this can be dangerous for her)? and with her breed cross is this likely to be an ongoing problem which she will not outgrow?

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

someone else asked the same question and they had a labrador too. Yes they do chew an awfull lot when they are puppies, and it dont matter what you put down for them, it is in their breed. my mate had a lab and he used to chew her shoes, boots, bags, table legs, corners of the skirting boards, etc etc, She used Olbos Oil and put some on where he chewed, I tell you what, he stayed away from them areas. worth a try.... another suggestion, have you got a part of your garden you dont use much, you could make an area for him and put in play sand, then bury some toys and bone and let him go look and dig for them, they love to retreive. Or fill a kiddies water pistol with water and lemon juice and quirt him when he goes near anything he shouldnt, they dont like the tast of lemon and the water makes them jump, and it dont hurt the dogs either. Good luck. xxxx

3. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

All puppies chew. I think my Pugs were the worst chewers apart from the Deerhound pup who ate a lovely leather arm chair over night.:D My fault not his.

One of the great things about having a puppy is that it teaches you and the kids to be tidy.:) Don't leave chewables lying around if possible and keep wardrobe doors shut.

At eight weeks your pup is only a baby. It's best to keep her confined to a small area at this age unless you are watching her. This will make it much easier to toilet train her and keep an eye on the chewing.

There is no need to raise your voice when training a pup. Simply remove the forbidden item (put it out of her reach) and replace it with one of her own toys. When she starts playing with her own toy praise, praise and more praise.

Its all pretty simple. When you have a human toddler you make sure the house is child safe. If you have stairs you use a baby gate. It's the same with a puppy. Puppy proof your home as best you can.

There is no need to spray the pup with water as someone else suggested. This is a very drastic measure and totally unsuited to dealing with a baby pup. I certainly would not use lemon juice and water. Ever has lemon juice in your eye? It stings.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck.:)

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

funnily enough my golden wasnt a terrible chewer.

he never ever chewed firuniture or stuff.

from day one i made sure he had plenty of chew toys and always tried to make them interesting in some way, such as stuffed puppy kongs ice cubes, frozen tea towels chewy toys etc.

whenever he looked at a piece of furniture or looked as if he was going to go further than just sniffing it i used to get his attention and play with a toy with him and forgot about the furniture or wires etc.

to this day i dont think he as ever done any chewing danage.

mind you i did sleep in the lounge with him for about a month when we first got him, mrs had the day shift i was up most of the night at first potty / pen training, and i think it paid off big style tbh.

now at 6mnths i can leave him for about 4 hrs alone with no problems execpt a really mad excited greeting when we get in lol.

5. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I agree it's my responsibility to keep the puppy from chewing, but I just dont want to ahve to close her in acage, so the result is she hasnt been left alone for even a second since we got her.

I have had puppies before (I lost my best friend Nelson 2.5 months ago and it is the worst pain I have ever felt - and am still feeling - in my entire life. He was my little boy and my companion - came with me everywhere, never needed a leash, just an extra special dog), and I am actually studying animal behaviour so I know a thing or two when I say it's the retriever in her acounting for EXCESSIVE chewing, because of course lots of chewing is natural and I have no problem with this. She has 10 toys which I rotate around, 3 different chews, we have given her ice cubes to play with, she is definitely not short of things to chew on, or bored as we are always with her, but she just walks around with a chew i her mouth thinking what esle she can chew on!! It's not just the teething, it's her way of exploring the world!

I suspected there was no option but confining her when we cannot watch her, I was just despertaely hoping for another option, as with previous dogs I have been able to always discourage chewing the wrong items and replacing with an appropriate toy and lots fo praise. Maya (the new puppy) can have her chewing directed to appropriate items only as long as you are there, the muinute you dont watch her she wants to eat the whole world, which is also dangerous for her as she swallows anything small enough to be swallowed. I will go an get a crate it seems, and hope when she grows out of her puppy stage with will no longer be necessary.

Thank you all for your great advice!!
    And just for thr record - she is 100% toilet trained from day 1. We only had 1 accident and that the first day. At night she wakes em up to let her out - all this without any crate involved so the only reason I need the crate is the uncontrollable undirectable chewing, which is why it upsets me.

6. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

just another thought - if you dont like the idea of a crate, why dont you just get some sort of pen? I use a crate, but only for my puppy's bed and we never shut her in it except for her to travel in the car safely. she quite likes it in there anyway as we have used it from day one as her bed...

we have that set up in the corner of our lounge and have a baby pen/room divider that we then pen off the corner with (rather than just set up as a standard playpen shape), so she has quite a large space to play and be near us, but it means she doesnt get into trouble when we cant watch her constantly.

she is now 16 weeks old and tends to go into her pen even when she doesnt need to as we feed her in there and she knows its her area and she always sleeps there at night.

we have also found it was really good for training her to be on her own - i slept downstairs with her for the first couple of nights and then after that she was fine and we sleep upstairs and only go down if she asks to be let out for toilet (although she went through most of the night pretty much from the beginning). plus we were able to put her in there and go into different rooms and leave her or into the garden to see what she would be like when left alone and as she was in her little area with her toys, she seemed quite happy and is fine when we leave her for an hour or so to pop out to the shops or whatever.

I didnt really like the idea of shutting her in a crate either, but i do think it is a brilliant thing to have for travelling safely and she obviously likes sleeping in it too.

7. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thanks

I think I will try find a set up that is as close to a pen as possible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice