Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

chewing the carpet

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by jessiegirl, Aug 4, 2009.

1. jessiegirl

jessiegirl PetForums Senior

my 5 month pup has started chewing the carpet which is really stressing me out. i rent this place and i put in an extra £200 pet deposit. i think by the time i leave here the carpet will have to be replaced.

is there anyway i can stop her chewing it?? shes got lots of toys to chew , destroyed half of them! was wondering is there anything i can rub on , with a smell she wont like??

or do i just have to put up with this. i told her off and sent her to her bed, she is still there now.

thanks

2. jilly40

jilly40 PetForums VIP

try a crate ? 4 when you go out ? hope that helps x

3. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

I presume she is doing this when ur in the house??

Try training her with treats to leave it???

4. munners

munners PetForums Junior

Hi

I have found that olbas oil is very effective they hate the smell and the taste it has always worked for me.

Regards
    Nicki

5. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Yep same here - although mine is still at it a nearly a year!!

Although i can not give you much advice (as my ideas have run dry now), i would say you need to do everything you can to quash it, or at least put your pup in a place with no carpet when you're out. I say this as mine was VERY close to having a big old operation to remove A LOT of carpet from her belly. Luckily the little sod threw it up a few hours before her scheduled xray, but i kid you not when i say it was about 1kg worth of carpet....

6. Nickb

Nickb PetForums Newbie

i know someone who used tobasco sauce and said it works brilliantly when mine used to chew i got him out of it by just telling him off when ever i saw him do it and also it helps if you figure out what texture they like so yours like the texture of your carpet try to get something similar he is allowed to chew on so he has something else he likes and just tell him off and use tobasco sauce with the carpet rub tobasco sauce on the bit he chews most

7. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

There is a spray that you ban buy, cant remember what its called but is safe on carpets etc, pets at home sell it.

8. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

My dog chewed the anti chew spray can... determined little bugger!!

9. jessiegirl

jessiegirl PetForums Senior

isnt she too old for a crate now?? i think she would go insane in it!!!

yeah when i am out i lock her in the kitchen. when im in she chews the carpet when im not looking or am working upstairs.

tobasco sauce??? isnt that gonna stain the carpet??? i'll have to go and see if they have anything in petshop. when i catch her doing it i tell her off, but it doesnt work she just gets more excited.:confused:

10. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I would remove her from the room when she starts chewing carpet,then after about 5 mins bring her back in,and just repeat,or you could try getting a small plastic drinks bottle,half fill with stones,when your pup goes to chew carpet,shake the bottle,not near your pup,and dont let pup see it,ie;do it behind your back,one of my dogs was terrible at jumping up at windows in the house,i did the bottle with stones in and within a week he stopped it.

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

A dog is never too old to be crate trained.
    If you can't have your attention on her 100%, then don't leave her where there is carpet, the training isn't going to work if she is able to do it sometimes, and not tohers, it will confuse her.
    Yeah you can get spray from the pet shop that they might not like the taste of. Problem is the spray soaks in/drys up after a while, either that or the pup will like it!

x

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

An alternative to tabasco sauce is chilli powder. You can vaccuum it up when it's worked!

13. badabing

badabing PetForums Junior

My 7 month Sheltie has taken to ripping and chewing up the lino in the shed where he stays when we are out. Skirting boards and chair legs are also a favorite but i think his favorite of all are my socks which now all have holes in them !!!:D

14. andy2009

andy2009 PetForums Newbie

slippers and socks are the favourite things i find chewed up! :D

15. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

You can buy a spray which have a bitter apple taste I dont know what it is called now. or Olbas oils are really good, they dont like the taste of this, i used to use a plasitc bottle with gravel inside to shake but my other dogs would jump with shock if they were sleeping and the puppy was chewing and I had to shake this thing. I felt sorry for my other dogs, so I used Olbas oil. AND I use a spray bottle with a jet spray nozzle, and squirt the puppy with that as soon as you see her chewing the carpet. I would get a crate and start using that if she persists in chewing while you are out, she could end up swallowing it, Big operation then.
    Give her some Raw Hide chew, but watch out when they get soggy, throw them away then and replace it with a new one as these can be dangerous if not kept an eye on.
    Sometimes they persist in chewing through boredom aswell. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

16. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

You could try getting a couple of cheap rugs to put down. Make sure they are machine washable. This seemed to help with our puppy, he prefers the rugs to the carpet, and it doesn't matter if they get wrecked. I also always make sure there is a variety of things he can chew left lying around. Also, I find stuffed kongs and paddywacks a godsend. They keep him amused for ages!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice