Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chewing table legs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by clairelouise104, Jan 2, 2012.

1. clairelouise104

clairelouise104 PetForums Newbie

My puppy of 4 months, has started chewing table legs which are wood.. My next door neighbour has told my husband to put Vicks varbour rub on them, supposed to stop them,,,, and will also prob burn inside his mouth. Are some people stupid

2. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

I would opt for the more suitable pet training spray you can buy from shops like pets at home, backed up with some good training. :)

One of my boys started doing this and I stopped him by making a loud 'AH-AH' sound when he started chewing, and then brought him one of his toys which he is allowed to chew.

3. clairelouise104

clairelouise104 PetForums Newbie

Got loads of chewy sticks for him which he loves, but I def won't be using Vicks that is for sure, a shout is less painful.

4. tttessa

tttessa PetForums Junior

We do the "lots of chewy rawhides around for him tactic".

He is teething now and loves nothing more than a good chew - our lovely oak dining chairs have a crossbar at just the right/wrong height!!! - so judiciously placed rawhides - even better when dipped in the meat juices from roast dinner or smeared with a bit of sausage fat are used to distract him from the chairs - and work pretty much any time we want him to sit and do nowt (while we are eating etc)

5. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

I would definitely not give raw hides to a dog under 1 year old, well I personally would never give rawhides at any age, but they are very dangerous at this age. Parts can become dislodged in the throat and pose a choking hazard. A lot of them also contain chemicals which are thought to not be good for dogs.

You would be much better with rubber kongs, or rope toys and antlers if supervised.

6. peds

peds PetForums Member

Maybe he knows something you don't - have you tried chewing them yourself? My puppy sometimes chews a tiny wicker bench we have by the door to keep shoes on. Intrigued, I tried it once when he wasn't looking. It was absolutely delicious.

7. TheFredChallenge

TheFredChallenge PetForums Member

There was one product spray we used and it worked. However when that ran out and subsequent ones failed (because we couldn't find that original one again) we had to resort to Tabasco and believe me THAT WORKS!!!

My boy as a wood loving Lab wasn't put off by much but this did the trick as he wouldn't even go near it. He'd sniff it and walked away with disgust every time.

8. colinsri

colinsri PetForums Newbie

i've always used a dab of mustard

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice