Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chewing Problems - 14mth English Bulldog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Christy10, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Christy10

Christy10 PetForums Newbie

I need help and don't know what to do. We have a very engertic 14 month old male English Bulldog who is a handful.

We are having problems with his chewing at the moment and I don't know what else I can do.

When left by himself, he's perfect he just goes to sleep in his bed and wakes up when I get home.

That's when the problem starts, he constantly wants to Chew the sofa, TV cabinet, step stool etc..

I can't see how it's boredam as he is taken on 2 walks a day, he has his food in a Kong Wobbler then has a smaller Kong that I freeze food in.

He is given Yak sticks, Nyla bones, Deer Antler, rubber toys, rope toys, you name it we have it to give to him or have round for him to Chew. Sometimes he's interested, sometimes not and wants to Chew the things he's not aloud.

We re direct when he's in the act, used bitter apple spray but nothing we do is working and if anything it's getting worse.

I feel it might be an attention thing, but he's does get loads from us, we walk and play with him.

It's really starting to get to get to myself and partner. Any ideas of what it could be and what else we can try?

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

What does his routine look like ? Is he in the room with you when it happens? Have you tried any tougher chews such as antler chews?

3. Christy10

Hes sleeps through to about 12/12.30, that's when I get home from work. I then have a little play with him with a toy, ball ect. He then goes on a walk around 2, then it's between this time and when we go to bed is when the chewing is worse. He only chews when we are in the room with him. When left on his own he's fine, never chews any furniture.

He has plenty of tough chews, he has a deer antler, Nyla bone ect but he's not that interested in them.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Try walking him as soon as you get home?

5. Christy10

I feed him a small meal when I get home, as he tends to sick up bile if he has a empty stomach. I like to let this go down before I walk him. But I can swap them round and walk him first.

But not sure if that will work as he is having a walk before the chewing begins.

6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Can you teach him a settle cue ? I’m working from home at the moment and my younger boxer would normally sleep whilst I’m out but because I’m home he wants to play a lot. I’ve been working with him to have a calm mat. He goes on this with a chew.

7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

It sounds to me like you stress him out - I don't mean in any nasty way, just that when you are home he doesn't know what to do with himself and to calm himself when you aren't interacting with him he chews things. Bull breeds are well known for being chewers and destroying things when stressed. I'd get a pen and make a secure safe area for him with a comfy bed and chews in that are either indestructible or that you don't mind if he chews them up. Have you looked at chew roots? There are a few different kinds of safe wood available. Bull horns and calf hooves are great too.
    I'd get a good routine for him that suits you, so (for example) you come home and pretty much straight away take him for a walk - take food with you and do some recall training or just general training while you are out with him. But also allow him to sniff a lot, this helps keep him calm and relaxed. When you get home you can then pop him in his pen with a stuffed Kong or other enrichment activity while you go and sort yourself out. Once you are done you can then get him out for a play or training session, but again once you are done pop him back in his pen with a chew so that he understands it's time to chill. The pen is there for both management and training. You are making sure he can't do the things you don't want, but at the same time by giving him food and chews in there you are rewarding and reinforcing behaviours you do want (calm chewing etc). Treat it like a crate but with more space. You can do this without a pen but personally to start with I'd limit his choices so he can only make the good ones. You can go over and sit with him if he's not relaxing, but just sit and read and soothe him, we want this to be down time. Reward him for going and resting on his bed by calmly placing treats on it. Over time you will be able to remove the pen and just have the bed so he will take himself there to relax. It does take time and training but you have a boisterous adolescent bull breed who can't control himself, so you need to help him but removing the possibility of making bad choices.

Lurcherlad, niamh123 and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice