Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chewing Problem!!! Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Smudgeypants, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Smudgeypants

Smudgeypants PetForums Senior

I have a border terrier (as you may already no) and he is a year old now and he still chews the house up. he only does it when me and my boyfriend go out, he never used to he just started doing it, now from what i've been told its because hes bored, so i bought a treat ball didnt work, i tryed leaving old clothes with my and my boyfrends smell (ewwww lol) on, didnt work, i tried leaving a tape recording of my voice on, didnt work. it's gotten so bad i have had to resort to cageing him when we go out and he hates it.
    please help me i don't no what else to try :confused:

2. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

What about leaving him in an outside kennel/run when your not home???

3. discusdan

discusdan PetForums Member

hi there my puppy had the same problem you wont believe what shes eaten:eek: best thing ever was caging her when we went out, she didnt like it at first but now goes in it whenever she wants too :D it soon becomes there space its good for housetraining that way because they dont want to mess their space up:) if you dont cage him you could try leaving things out ( cheap stuff for him to chew) but with something very spicey like a curry powder or something to put him off next time

4. Smudgeypants

thankyou for all your replies i have been talking to my boyfriend and we have decided to buy him a nice outside kennel so that he is happy and we don't have to worry bout the house gerring chewed to bits

thanks again -x-

5. discusdan

discusdan PetForums Member

ok hope all goes well:) my dad wasnt happy when she chewed his car stereo , the table and chairs, cds,bananas, actually opened tins of tuna :eek: lol

6. Smudgeypants

Aww lol well smudge only seems to chew important stuff like tele remotes, xbox 360 controler, trainers, clothes lol the lil rascal

thanks for your reply :)

7. pammy

pammy PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I would keep at it with the cage but make it a nice place to be
    Do not just put him in there when you go out otherwise he will start to hate it

Start by making it a nice cosy place and feeding him in there with the door open
    Keep the door open all the time so if he wishes to explore he can do

Gradually shut the door for 5 mins keeping him in the same room as you until you can extend the time
    It will not work over night but neither will giving him an outdoor kennel when he is not used to it
    good luck

8. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

As long as the kennel is in a suitable place so that if the weather turns bad he can be out of the elements be it rain or hot sun , also you need to ensure your garden is dog proof a bored dog will dig up plants and dig to escape if the mood takes him , also check to see if the plants in your garden are not poisonouse to animals as some are and can make them ill. My other thought on this is that if your dog belives he is in charge when you leave he is fretting over where his subordinates have gone . look at what other behaviours he displays , does he sit on your sofa or bed , does he bark at the door , do you make sure you eat before him , lots of little things you may not even think about could be giving him the signal that he is above you and therefore this means when you leave no matter for how long it will make him fret over your return , A good book to get is Jan Fennel the dog listener it arms you with the reasons why dogs act the way they do and gives you methods to stop your dog beliving he is in charge , its all about leadership with dogs and if you have allowed him to belive this is the case you will always have issues when you leave him .

9. Smudgeypants

Thankyou everyone for all your replies. We have decided to get him a kennel and a cage :eek:
    yes we are going to leave him outside during the day (if the weather isn't to bad of course) and put him in his cage over night to sleep, he dosn't seem to mind the kennel or cage so i tihnk hes happy enough

thankyou again for replies -x-

Attached Files:

10. Boccia Boy

Boccia Boy PetForums Member

:)Hi :D we have got a border and he dosent chew :) - but if the outside kennel dosent work i heard on a tv programme that if you can pin point what the dog likes to chew most then when you next go out you put something that the dog dosent like the taste of then when he chew he tastes and hopefully stops :p

Hope that helps

Boccia-Boy:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice