Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chewing dew claws

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Tim fawns, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Tim fawns

Tim fawns PetForums Newbie

Hi, this is my first post, my 10 month old puppy is constantly chewing his dew claws and its driving me mad, anyone have any ideas how I can get him to stop !

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Are they too long and annoying him?

O2.0 and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Tim fawns

He's had them trimmed a few months back but he just seems to chew as to pull them off, I've tried to redirect him but he still does it

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

If you are sure there isn't problem, it could have become a habit like us biting our nails. You could spray a little Bitter Apple on to stop him chew them.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  5. Tim fawns

I have switched his food to raw about 2 months ago, I might do an allergy test to see if he has allergies, but he's been chewing before I switched him to raw

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

My boy chews the claws on his back feet (not just his dew claws). It's annoying! I redirect him / tell him to stop (he knows what I mean!). I figure it's just a habit, my other dog has little habits too.

DaisyBluebell and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Our pup used to chew his paws, as habit I think. We just redirected him to better things to chew and he seems to have grown out of it now.

Tim fawns likes this.
  8. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

My mad Lurcher, actually bites her own nails, the sound is horrendous when trying to watch a TV programme sometimes, including the dew claw to point I never have to have them clipped ! Just make sure they are not too long and curling into the skin tho.

9. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Tod has really distorted dew claws. Left to their own devices they would curl out away from his leg. He nibbles them and keeps them really short, so I don’t have to clip them. Keeps him busy so win win situation.

Tim fawns and DaisyBluebell like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice