UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pepper is constantly chewing the hell out of his hutch and run, i've given him twigs, blocks, wooden balls, all sorts.
he shows little or no interest in blocks and twigs, but he does the balls but he seems to prefer the hitch.
anything else i can try to encourage him away from the hutch.
destructive little bugger but i love him :001_wub:
also my fil is going to help me build a bigger run in the next few weeks. :D

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
They are so contray - we have that here too, only the indoor buns also prefer the door frames and furniture to all the natual stuff we give them. We just try and block bits off - our house is a series of barriers, but that won't work in a hutch.

Hope fully more space will occupy them more, and they may chew less.

I'd just suggest varying toys- big/little boxes with hay/ herb treats, few pellets in - digging tray - toilet roll tube with hay/fresh yummies in - crumpled paper with something yummy hidden inside - willow - freshly picked apple sticks/leaves on - things to throw around and jump on - and loads of different hays for variety.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yes i meant to ask about a digging tray as say him trying to dig the other day, whats the best thing to use? can only assume it needs to be reasonably deep for him?

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Anything deep will do, that will fit in the space you have - an underbed storage box, old sand tray, anything really. However deep, they will manage to kick some out anyway. What you put in needs to be free from chemicals. We used soil from our own garden, which the bunnies loved. I would avoid shavings.
I am not sure about compost, because I don't know whats in it - perhaps look at organic? Whatever you use, it's a case of remembering that anything new (and that includes hay, unfortunately), can be a source of contamination)

Mounds of safe leaves, crumpled paper, hay and carboard would be quite exciting too.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Re. digging tubs....

...I use a big plastic dog bed for Buddy. He can't go far in it but it gives him the chance to have a good scuffle. I alternate between filling it with mounds of straw/hay, shredded paper and soil (well, organic compost from our garden centre!).

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Not sure how my post linked to a John lewis, very expensive, storage box - I didn't do it.

The underbed storage boxes we use come from The Range, Tescos and Wilkinsons. Far cheaper, anddo the job brilliantly.

by the way, has anybody ever found a use for the lids? - we have ended up with loads.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lmao summersky are u having problems there :lol:

i have a spare plastic dogs bed but no room for it till the new run is built. see if i can find something smaller. ta everyone xx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.