Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chew, chew, chew...

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Lucy2020, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Lucy2020

Lucy2020 PetForums Junior

My kittens, about 11 weeks, have really gotten into chewing things. Often the ends of phone chargers *sigh*. I was thinking about getting them some toys to chew instead - any ideas what kind to get that would suit their 'taste'?

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

3. poppygreen

poppygreen PetForums Junior

Hi :)

it's a nightmare isn't it? I read a lot about what to do with cables...although is not good for them to chew on anything at all, cables always worry me the most because of the electricity of course.

My 4 months old kittens are not fussed about anything else but cables and i have tried rubbing lemon along the whole cable (mobile charges for example) making sure bits of lemon were left on the cable as it's well know that cats dislike citruses. well they started licking the cable so actually i made it even more appealing for them :D. So that didn't work (but give it a go cause in majority of cases it works). i have bought the cables protectors but we have loads and loads of cables around the house due to our jobs and life so i haven't manages to cover every single cable in the house. Problem comes to computer mouse and random cables that are not out all the times and that's when i have to tell them off and move them away, once, twice, three times...eventually they understand and go and do something else. persistence hahaha. that's the key hopefully

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

A good habit to develop is always putting phone chargers, and computer mice in a drawer when not in use.

Turn off electrical equipment at the wall socket when not being used. This includes TV's, microwave, electric kettle, washing machine, tumble dryer, hi-fi etc.

Tying cables together in bunches where possible, with plastic ties, makes them less attractive to kittens for gnawing on. Individual cables can be wrapped in kitchen foil.

My cats have all liked the 'Yeowww' stuffed toys for gnawing on, the banana, the fish and the rainbow being the most popular :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YEOWWW-8-12402-00140-Yeowww/dp/B000AUJFHE/ref=ice_ac_b_dpb?crid=DRV5BQSFS0ML&dchild=1&keywords=yeowww+catnip+toys+for+cats&qid=1594727042&sprefix=yeoww,aps,153&sr=8-5&th=1

Summercat likes this.
  5. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Summercat - yes you're right, cardboard boxes are excellent as 'chew toys'! :) You've reminded me of my girls when they were kittens, they would rip several cardboard boxes a week! (Useful for the recycling bin, LOL)

Summercat likes this.
  7. Lucy2020

Thanks all!

They do leave most of the cables alone, they just seem particularly interested in the phone charger. They like my husband's watch band as well, which is rubber (or something like rubber... it's an activewear one). Most cables are indeed tied up so they're not really interested in those.

@Summercat I didn't know those cable protectors existed! Thank you!

Summercat likes this.
  8. Lucy2020

Will the catnip toys work for kittens who have never had it before?

9. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Kittens don’t usually react to catnip. Most start reacting to catnip or valerian when they are 6 months or older.

Summercat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice