Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chesters Thyroid results ..Part 2

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by paddyjulie, Nov 23, 2012.

1. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Well..got the 2nd results back and they have came back normal..by what I hear from the vet it was a different test from the first and should have shown high if he was suffering from Hypothyroidism..So i am a little stuck now as to what is wrong.

I am wondering if him having the suprelorin implant which I am not sure if it has entirely worn off yet could effect the readings regarding the pituitary gland.

Anyway the vet did say to take him back in 4-6 week for a re-test just to see if there is a change, incase its the start of Hypothyroidism..

So ..no further forward now, regarding his hairloss :nonod:

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Looks like he didnt do a whole full profile in the first place. He must have just done a T4 previously that was low, and now he has done a TSH Thyroid secreting hormone. The TSH isnt that sensitive anyway. Its T4 and T3 Hormones that the body uses and needs.

What he shold have done is at minimum. Free T4, Total T4, TSH and TGAA (Thyroglobulin auto Antibodies) and preferably a T3 as well.

I know in bitches that they shouldnt be tested in season as hormones present can throw of the results, you have to wait unril anestrus when all the increased hormones during the season have returned to normal as it can throw them off, so can steroid treatment and certain antibiotics even like sulphonomides plus other meds. If he had done the complete profile above then he would know exactly how the thyroids working in all the aspects.

If the Thyro globulin auto antibodies are high then thats an indication as well, as that means he has auto immune thyroid which you see in young dogs mostly and often makes an appearance before 3 years old.

Classic the T4s and T3s will be low (which his previously was) The TSH is often high,
    because the pituatory is pushing it out telling the thyroid gland to make the T4 and T3 hormones but if the thyroid gland is knackered then it cant make it anyway so the T4 and T3s are still low and cant increase.

Just checked the suprelorin and it does work by supressing the sexual function pituatory gonand axis for at least 6mths, and also reduces testosterone levels in the blood, Im sure I read somewhere that dogs need to be around a year and at sexual maturity before a test is done, just checked the Michagan state OFA Thyroid testing and again they usually do it at a year, so taking this into account and that bitches shouldnt be tested in season, then sex hormones look like they have an implication, also the OFA thyroid registry say that if the samples are received within 48 hours its fine but if in transit for longer they need to be kept at 60 degrees F or less, so blood samples must deteriorate and throw tests off if not kept a certain way.

On checking the Lab handbook that I use for my tests, they say that although 80/85% of hypothyroid dogs will be expected to have have high TSH the rest wont.So it can happen. So all in all and things considered I still wouldnt rule it out.

There is something too called Sick euthyroid syndrome which can cause a low Total T4 as a reponse to other illnesses or factors, and the TSH will be normal. You can either re test like your vet has suggested or there is further tests called a TRH stimulation test and a TSH stimulation test too.

Personally I would ask him exactly what he has done test wise, and if it wasnt a full profile, then ask him to do a full profile next time. I usually have the labs I use platingum test which is Free T4, Total T4, TSH and TGAA all done in one go, they will also do T3 as an added extra Assay.

3. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Thankyou :) I am going to print this out and put it with his papers etc, so I don't loose it and I will ask for a full profile done next time..he did say that if the test showed again to be low, then, he would request all four tests, so I will just tell him to do all four to begin with..makes sense.

The implant has now been in for about 6 month's. When I was reading up on it before making the decision to go ahead with it if I remember all the tests were done on dogs over 10kg where as chester is 7Kg so I did wonder if it may take him a little longer than the average 6 months :confused:

Thanks again Sled dog for your time xx

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Your very welcome, bit of a minefield is thyroid problems, Ive got two with it now Nanuq with the Auto immune one and Daisy with the idiopathic version that comes on in older age. Ive had two previous ones with it too, again the idiopathic version that came on later in life. Daisy and Laska had routine ones done when younger too and had excellent results, so even if they have good tests doesnt mean they still cant get it later in one form or another either.
    They are so more far ahead and clued up in the states then here, where it all seems a bit hit and miss at times on the whole.

If I can be any more help then let me know. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice