Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chester's excessive hair loss..May well be his thyroid.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by paddyjulie, Nov 21, 2012.

1. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Took Chester for a thyroid test early on in the week after lots of advice from here a few week back.

Well..his results have come back as being 12.4 which the vet has said is the low end of normal which is 13, so another re-check is required and if it is the same , he will require medication. Not sure as to why another re-check needed, suppose it's just to make sure, but as its the same sample of blood that was taken, I would have expected it to be right..but, suppose the vets know why a re-check is needed :D

Now i just want to know :eek:

#1 paddyjulie, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Some people don't have much luck with their dogs do they? :(

Hope it gets sorted soon and without too much pain and expense

3. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I never have any luck Rona..:nonod:

If it comes back still low it perhaps would also explain some of his behaviour also:confused:
    Don't think it's that expensive to treat so that's one good thing :)

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

That is really low esecially in such a young dog, and will probably explain behaviour too, his range at his age should be well up the reference range.

It is very easy to treat and the meds are not too expensive either, Ive got two on it Daisy and Nanuq. If its that low cant see the 2nd test being any better. He will need to be retested in 6 weeks approx anyway to check his levels after meds are started, so in all honesty dont see why they didnt put him on a starting dose already if its that low and re-run the tests in 6 weeks.

paddyjulie likes this.
  5. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I have convinced myself now, especially regarding the behaviour, Chester has a great fear of new things and often things he has seen before on a regular basis , the other day he ran into his bed peeping around the corner because I lifted the iron up :crying:

hopefully I should find out tomorrow with the lab already having his blood .

6. Sled dog hotel

Does sound like it I must admit, they can have a fear period but that usually just passes. Cant remember if Ive linked you to these before, about thyroid and behaviour. Ignore one of the mentions of epilepsy it is about behaviour aswell, it just happens to be an epilepsy/seizure website and its linked to seizure too in some dogs which is what was causing Nanuqs at 2 years old.

Behavioral changes associated with thyroid dysfunction in dogs.

Are your dogs seizures caused by Canine Epilepsy or Autoimmune Thyroiditis?

7. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

thank's for the link's, it really would explain a lot.. It will be very interesting to see what the re-check shows

8. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

just taken this photo of him ,bless him:( and you can also see where he had a bleed underneath the skin after the needle was removed, it came up like a golfball within seconds :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#8 paddyjulie, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  9. Sled dog hotel

Poor chester, Odd enough Nanuqs has come up like that a few times too, after shes had her blood tests.

10. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

Bless him I hope they give him some meds soon and he's feeling better. Oscars test came back at 11 and they put him straight on meds he too can be a bit nervous and skittish. The meds are not very expensive at all :)

Don't know if it helps but Oscar got put on a starting dose of 0.7 and is now up to 1.4 and nearly in the normal range; he is a larger dog though. He is being tested every two weeks at the moment.

11. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Poor Chester hope you get things sorted :) handsome boy :)

12. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

hopefully if the 2nd test comes back low, we can get him started on the tomorrow...one thing i will say is thought that he is full of life and on the go non stop....god help me if there is more :001_tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice