Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cherry eye operation help!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rhia, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Rhia

Rhia PetForums Member

I posted a week ago about my little pug cross pup developing cherry eye, she's been for a review today and needs an operation.

So many bulldog forums/bulldog owners have said to remove it as dry eye complication is very rare and the other method often fails, the 2nd vet I saw said to remove it too, he's been a vet for years and comes highly reccomended but is old school, he said he barely sees complications lile dry eye and not to rush it and he can do it when she is spayed.

The first vet however said to try the pocketing method to prevent dry eyes and this is the preferred option it seems with newer vets, he said he barely has problems with this and if it does pop back out he will do it again or remove it for free but he said not to remove it as the first option because of dry eye.

On previous posts on this forum over the last few years, there's been a vet called Walpole and Bingham in Wolverhampton pop up and they apparently perform a removal procedure that takes minutes under a LA and never have problems after? Lots of reviews on Google too supporting this and people have travelled to see them.

Has anyone used them?
    Anyone care to share their experiences of cherry eye operations and what they opted for?

Sorry to post again about this in a week but I want to make sure I choose the best option for her.

#1 Rhia, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  2. Rhia

Rhia PetForums Member

Sorry to bump this up again, just really unsure on what's best to do, if anyone can share their experiences I'd be very grateful

3. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

I wouldn't have it removed. I had it corrected on my girl in both eyes. One went really well the other not so good and she got dry eye. She was young when she had it done and recovered immediately with dissolving stitches so no need to have them removed. As an aside, the eye that is dry gets regular, deep ulcers which she needs various drops and pain relief for. Definitely worth considering before you make a decision especially with a squashy face such as a pug

4. Rhia

Rhia PetForums Member

Thank you for your reply, so did she get dry eye even though you had it corrected?

5. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

One eye was fine, the other eye ended up with a damaged tear duct following the op. She didn't really have any issues until her sight started to fail (she's 13) she walks into things now and isn't as steady on her feet so bangs her face and as such, ends up banging her eyes and getting ulcers. She's a Lhasa Apso with a fairly short face

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice