Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chemo for dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mum2Alfie, May 29, 2010.

1. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

My friends cousin has a GS dog who is 11 and a half yrs old. Yesterday she was told that her poor doggy has pancreatic cancer, and he is blind. He is her husbands dog and so therefore she has left the decision up to him. Right now the poor dog cant move, if he moves his spleen in gonna rip open and he will bleed internally. Her husband wants the dog to have an operation and then have chemo. She doesnt want him to cause of the suffering the poor dog will go through. So, cause I know some of you have given your dogs chemo, I told her I would ask what it was like for the dog, was it painful, was their any side effects etc. So if anyone could give me some info on it please would be most appreciative. Then at least they know what its like and make a descision.

Ty guys.

2. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

If this was my dog i would let it go with dignity rather than go through all of that pain and discomfort.

IMO Chemo will probably only give the dog a few more months and i don't think it will have a good quality of life as a result of the pain.

3. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Sorry but I must agree, chemo is an awful thing in itself:frown:

4. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I am going to have to agree.:(

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Have to agree with what others have said, the poor boy sounds like hes having a miserable life right now and a gentle passing is the kindest most loving thing his owners can do for him, my thoughts go out to his owners its a horrible decision to have to make.

6. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

We all agree guys. My friend and even her cousin agrees. Can anyone give me some info on chemo for dogs please.

7. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

My Old English Sheepdog,Mitch, had chemo and he was great with it .No side effects at all and it gave him an extra 4 months with us.Mitch had lymphoma, and was showing no sign of illness apart from the swollen nodes, not pancreatic cancer and he was only 7 years old.There was a chance with Mitch that he could of gone into remission for a couple of years.

I think if my dog had pancreatic cancer and he was a good age i think i would of let him go with dignity.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice