Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

check out this new food at zooplus!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by lovecat, Jul 27, 2009.

1. lovecat

lovecat PetForums Junior

Hello everyone,

I`ve not been on here for ages as i changed my ISP to aol and couldn`t access the forum three days after joining it which was really frustrating!

anyway lol, i`m here now and just had to share this link with you.

While browsing through zooplus for any decent tinned foods i came across a new brand called `boos` which i`ve not seen before.

Check out the varieties.....especially the one for cats on an exclusion diet.

Made me feel a bit ill and wondered what you all thought....

Pet Supplies, Pet Food, and Pet Products on Sale Now at zooplus.co.uk

2. LKelly

LKelly PetForums Junior

I don't really like the look of these and would much rather stick to tinned foods I know like Hills etc :)

3. lovecat

lovecat PetForums Junior

They do look a bit dodgy don`t they? :eek:

I was looking for something a bit cheaper than the applaws / porta kind of thing but i didn`t even notice how much these were as i got out of there pretty quick! lol!

They turned my stomach just reading about them....it just seems a bit iffy feeding mustang horses to house cats doesn`t it?

Seems i`ll be sticking with what i know too........ :)

4. lovecat

lovecat PetForums Junior

Blimey! They aren`t cheap either!

Works out at £3.83 per 100g :eek:

5. Riverwish

Riverwish PetForums Member

Not complete either, they look very dodgy to me

6. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

:confused: Whats dodgy about it ? No fillers, or animal bi products, no preservatives, colours, sugars, added carbs your cat doesn't need :confused: Just meat cooked in its own juices.

imo, despite what is claimed - NO commercial food is truly complete, so little research goes into it before it is manufactured and sold. The ones that claim their foods are complete are usually those that have been around for a while and haven't had any deaths attributed to being fed their food, so feel confident in claiming its complete. Those that state their foods are not complete are more than likely covering themselves from any potentail law suits or are just being honest.

The food is supposed to appeal to the cat not the owner. Chewing on a freshly killed mouse, sparrow or rabbit would churn my stomach - but my cats its party time.

Mine have had Boos and liked it, licked the plates clean :)

7. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

i had some boos once, well cats did, licked clean plates here too. :wink5:

8. lovecat

lovecat PetForums Junior

Yes - you`re right - it is supposed to appeal to the cats - not the owners, and they sell rabbit variety in cat food too i suppose - it`s just that i`m squeamish and think of rabbits as gorgeous fluffy bunnies - and horses as magnificent creatures that shouldn`t be part of the food chain.

Just my take on it - i couldn`t put out horsemeat for my cats, but then i don`t give them rabbit either!

* Wondering now why they don`t sell sparrow and mouse cat food * :wink5:

9. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

If your cat had to fend for himself, he probably wouldn't bring down a horse, but he would certainly be able to take out a few rabbits :D

He wouldn't be able to bring down a cow either, but they still sell cat food in beef flavours - cows are just as cute as horses - not that there's actually much if any beef in most commercial foods. Most just say animal and meat derivatives - meats bits of unknown origin could be horse. Sad though it is, its where most race horses end up :(

10. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

I remember the horsemeat man coming round weekly to sell horsemeat for cats and dogs. This was in London in the 1950's

11. thelioncub

thelioncub PetForums Senior

I think that food sounds brilliant! Wish I'd seen it earlier.. Just had my big delivery from zooplus which should last the month. :)

12. lovecat

lovecat PetForums Junior

Will you be ordering some next month then?

I can`t help but think that i would be dubious as to what is going into that food - there`s only an ingredients list on a can label which isn`t really very reassuring imho - even if you are / or can... read German!

Think i`d rather give mine whiskas - as at least you know there`s no horsemeat in it!

But then other`s here have said they have used boos before and their cats loved it - so each to their own - it`s just my take on it and it made me feel sick, as i own horses as well as cats and dogs and rabbits so i`m probably a little touchy on the subject! :(

I will be ordering my big monthly order on Friday - consisting of Royal Canin and Porta21 for the cats! :D

13. thelioncub

thelioncub PetForums Senior

I'd be tempted to try it next month yes, but then my 2 are on quite a nice steady diet now already.
    As far as how the can looks.. I don't think it's dubious at all (but yes, I can read German) It only looks 'dodgy' to us because it's not something we see in the supermarkets and are therefore not used to. It still has been 'branded'. Over in Germany this food could be common as mud, and to them Felix might look dubious. I'd prefer to feed my cats as natural (in terms of ingredients) as I can, and the label means nothing to me. Personally I like to use my instincts a bit more.. if something smells gross to me, then why should it be good enough for my cats? It's not like cats will eat rotten flesh is it. The food I feed smells and looks good enough for humans to eat, and I take that as a good indication of the quality. Mix that with a little common sense about a cats needs and you're onto a winner.
    And as far as horses go.. It's not like I agree that wild horses should be chopped up as cat food. I hardly think there are people breeding horses to supply to boos for consumption - wouldn't exactly be very cost effective would it! Just because this company is honest about what goes in their food, doesn't mean that they are the only ones.. Dread to think what goes in Whiskas!

14. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

You don't know that at all :confused: It just says meat and animal by products, then just says only 4 % of that is the meat that its supposed to be.

These are the ingredients in Boos, where's the horsemeat come in ?

15. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

It is here in the exclusion diet:

boos Exclusion Diet is a moist food for sensitive cats and dogs on exclusion diets or with food allergies.

- Mustang Horsemeat, 6x 300g 11.49 (3.83 /100g)
    - Mustang Horsemeat, 6x 800g 23.29 (2.91 /100g)

I will stick to feeding my cats dry and as treats (complementry) Applaws or even the Hi-life perfection! That is very natural without Horses/cows being involved!!

16. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Ah never looked at the exclusion diet, but it still makes sense. There's probably horsemeat in anything with "meat and animal biproducts" listed on the ingredients. Whats the difference between that and beef, apart from obviously the original animal. Both lovely animals - I'm a veggie btw. Don't the French eat alot of horsemeat?

17. lovecat

lovecat PetForums Junior

Well i`m totally confused now! :confused:

As i read it on the zooplus website the exclusion diet is for cats and dogs who are sensitive or have food allergies and it says in the description:

So either that is totally misleading or horse meat is not used in whiskas and other conventional brands :confused:

I still think it`s each to their own anyway - it just made me feel sick! I understand other`s have their own opinions, and it`s interesting to hear those opinions :)

For all it is very honest of Boo`s to sell and brand the food as they do - i won`t be buying it - but kudos to those who do :D

18. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

I don't think most commercial pet food manufacturers would give you exact details as to what "meat and animal by products/derivatives" actually meant, because it would put you off buying the food altogether. In reality what it actually means is lips and arseholes from an assortment of different carcasses.

If its a choice of actual meat cooked in its own juices, (no matter what that meat is) and an alternative with meat of unknown source at only 4% total packed out with veg protein and other carbs which cats do not need and can not digest then the meat in own juices is by far the best choice.

#18 Saikou, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
    thelioncub likes this.
  19. lovecat

lovecat PetForums Junior

I think you are completely right and respect what you are saying - it`s just the horsemeat i have a problem with :(

I also totally understand that boos has probably been a lifesaver for owners of pets with allergies and sensitive digestion etc.... it just doesn`t sit easy with my conscience or my stomach.

The horsemeat thing totally `threw me` when i saw it.

I see horses as human companions - the same as my cats are - whereas i have never befriended a cow or a pig or a sheep or a chicken.

And i know that sounds really mixed up and bigotted and ignorant :blush2:

Who am i to say which animals should be slaughtered and which should be pampered and allowed to live with humans?

I wouldn`t feed my cats boos or whiskas - and thank goodness i don`t have to choose between the two.....cos i think i`d rather feed them tripe and black puddings! :wink5:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice