Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cheap run around (Use on motorway aswel)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sophoscar, Jun 9, 2010.

1. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

I maybe going back to college in Spetember so that means my lovely Corsa will have to go for some money :(

So i'l be looking around for something small and cheap to use around town and also on the motorway (so will need to be a car that doesn't breakdown)??

Anyone know any good cars for about 1.5k??

2. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

why don't you just keep your corsa? it can't cost that much to keep and run.

3. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I have a corsa and it's awesome on the motorways. Can do around 450 miles on a full tank when on the motorways.

4. ToddyxxMillie

ToddyxxMillie PetForums Member

You can have my clio if you like lol! Its a really nippy car! its quite girly but i want a new car so im going to sell it!

Im selling it for £1800 tho but it needs to be fixed first!
    heres a pic

Attached Files:

#4 ToddyxxMillie, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  5. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

Corsa is worth 5.5k with its low millage and rare spec so the money could come in handy for College next year and it's not a small engine either.

My old corsa was nippy and fun to drive but not sure i want another one.

I like clio's but not one broken really :(

#5 sophoscar, Jun 9, 2010
  6. ToddyxxMillie

What are the corsa like on petrol as i want an sxi but my friend says there juicy on petrol?
    I was looking for ages for a car around 1.5k- 2k there isnt alot really what about another corsa c? i take it you have a corsa d?

7. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

I owned a 1.2 Corsa Comfort which was ok on fuel and thats the same as an sxi.

I currently own a Corsa C at the moment so i don't know about another one but they are getting cheap to buy.

8. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Peugeots are good, the old kind. Iv got a 98 306, its now done 114 thousand miles. Never had a problem with it. I go back and forth to kent all the time. My mate had a 96 106 and that was really good too. An my brother had 2 205 peugeots that were brill too....until he crashed them :rolleyes: You can pick up a really cheap one too. :thumbup:

9. ToddyxxMillie

I had a look at corsa cs they do hold their price! but im probably going to go for a corsa d or a new clio! But there are plenty of cars around just they seem to be sooo expensive!

10. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

Cheers...well mate is selling his 206 for my budget but not sure if i want it :|

Corsa c's are actually better then d's...ive drove a few and they are not as nippy compared to the c. :)

11. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

12. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

you'll be lucky to get that for it tho, not trying to bring you down like, just being realistic. spec doesn't do much for most cars worth tbh. the cars worth what people will pay for it unforunately, not what it's worth.

look for a diesel, doesn't matter what milage they are they'll run forever (any vag is particularly good).

so try older skoda or seat which are vag group but don't hold their value like vw/audi's do so same spec, same car, same reliability but lower price, you'll get more for your money. they're petrol engines will also run forever so again don't worry about milage. My tt has 82k and my mk1 golf has 195k and both running like new.
    My fabia vrs (1.9tdi) nice inside, medium roadtax, low consumption so very good for my 20 mile each way to work journey, £50 tank would last 3 odd weeks, depending on my lead foot.
    also if anything goes wrong they're stupidly easy to diagnose and second hand parts are 10 a penny.

remember with 1.2's and lower you will have to rag the tits off it if it's <~10 y/o due to weight, to get it up to speed (50+) so might not be as economical as you think.

do you actually need a car while you're at college, or can you bus/bike/walk it and borrow the parents car after hours instead?

dunno how old you are but check insurance/tax isn't going to sting you.

13. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I got my corsa c 2005 last year, and i paid £2500 with only 17000 miles on clock. Now theres over 25000 miles on clock, and a couple of scratches and dents :)

14. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

Someone else i know had the same car as me and just sold it for that price and well that had 2k more miles then mine. Also been offered 4.5k px for it aswell as it's a rare car :). I'll be happy if i get 5k for it as i know thats what it's worth and if my car was at vauxhall it would be up for 6k.

Also if i dont go college...if i dont get in that is :(....i might be getting a vrs as i like them

I might look into 106 or something and i like golfs diesels but they are abit pricey :(.

I need a car as my bf lives 85 miles away and well it would be cheaper then the train, its £50 for a return :eek:. Plus i've been driving for two years and could not cope without a car.

My insurance is about £600 now which is cheap for a 1.7cdti (Got next year saved up already)

You can get some bargains ...only reason i paid alot is because millage was only 15k and it was from Vauxhall itself.

What about fiesta's???

#14 sophoscar, Jun 9, 2010
  15. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

personally i wouldn't touch a ford or a peugot with a barge pole (and expect to get it back in once piece), horrid plasticy fords, and faulty pugs. loads of mod cons, unfortunately they forgot to put some knickers on them. :scared: frightful.

fingers crossed for 5k+ then for a private sale :D
    4.5 is good for a px too but try private first unless your desperate ;)

vrs diesels are like rocking horse poop, so good luck finding a good one, they're worth the search. DON'T GET A SILVER ONE you'll look like every OLD LADY WHO CAN'T DRIVE on the road in a 1.4 poo version, which is EXTREMELY annoying. see if you can get the spesh ed one in shiny blue.

mk3+ golf?? arg! spitspitspit! lol try an older seat ibeza (FR) diesel, same car better spec for your mulah, and tastier colours dotting about too. very safe, good insurance, tax and nicer insides.. (pedro might ride a donkey but he knows good car interior when he sees it, unlike hans who thinks laderhosen look good).
    unless it's a mk1 or 2 golf then go RIGHT ahead! anything after that or before mk6 isn't worth it's weight in poo (which is considerable).

try not to buy from dealerships as they charge for thin air... if you can get a mechanic (rellie or mate) or at least someone who knows much about cars to come round and look at private sales with you. if you can't test drive it yourself (insurance reasons etc), make sure you get driven around, get them to go slow, reverse and up to 70 if they can.
    also sit in and play with gear knob and clutch with the engine on, you need to know how it feels (watch for too much play).
    check under the bonnet for mayo in the oil, engine movement. wheel arches and undersides for rust.
    the interior is generally the best way to tell if a cars beenlooked after (after the service manual that is, but even that's not the holy grail unfortunately), if it's near immaculate inside it's a loved car, the owner should be enthusiastic also.
    Do that for dealership ones too cos they're far worse than private sellers for selling on crap that should be scrapped.

you probably know ALL that already but just in case ;)

16. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Oooo stung i own both a peugeot 306 and a ford mustang. I wouldn't touch a new peugeot though, and if im honest they are a b*tch to work on, but generally sturdy.

What about something japanese? If im honest having owned and my OH having owned many nissan 200sx s13 and s14 they are brilliant, parts are cheap, easy to work on. But they start at a 1.8 turbo i think :(

17. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

I WOULD own a mustang.. but only an old one, not the current bathtubs contenders they're oozing out now.

18. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I bought a Honda CRV a couple of years ago, all I've paid is MoT, insurance, tax, and for a part of the exhaust to be fixed (about £90 from memory). Other than that, it's only cost me a bit of oil and obviously fuel, bargain! Plus it comes with a folding picnic table, which, in my line of work, doing craft fairs and events, has come in extremely handy!

19. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I'm with owieprone take a look at Seat ;)

I've got a 2006 Seat Ibiza and I love the little thing. Due to mine's age it cost £5,000 ish (less than 30K on the clock two previous owners full history etc from a Seat Dealership).

I think you could quite easily pick up a 2003 for £3,000 or thereabouts and I love mine. Learnt in two corsas and brother had one on courtesy and my car faired better on motorways than his (had it for an age as his car took a longgg time to fix lol!).

You can get bigger engines; mine is only a 1.2 as I've only just passed and would be a rip off other wise but J isn't too much of a slug considering he's only a 1.2, could be worse! Tax is about £60 I think and I get usually at least 43 mpg doing mostly town driving.

I love them, really do. Easy to get hold of parts and generally quite cheap to fix too.

20. sophoscar

sophoscar PetForums VIP

Ok no pugs,fords or golfs lol.

VRS is i if i dont get into college as they are easy to tune :)

So fair i like vags though so prob be a seat or something.

I know alot of people who can work on cars and im not the type to get ripped off by garages and stuff because ive had that done before and its not worked hehe.

Maybe i wont then hehe as i cant really afford a 1.8 turbo if i go college but i would like to lol.

I love seat ibiza and would love to buy one but they are abit much for me :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice