Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Chasing cars an car lights

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks and Games' started by Anncooper, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Anncooper

Anncooper PetForums Newbie

Hi I have a 5 year old British bull dog that we have fostered from a dogs home. He is a very calm and a happy dog with no real issues. He has enjoyed his two daily walks and a good run on the field with his ball. On Bonfire night he had a dislike to fireworks. Since then taking him out for walks has a been a nightmare, we don't know if it is because it is getting darker earlier and cars putting the lights on as he is now chasing car light and chasing after cars making it really difficult to take him out. We have introduced firework sounds for him to listen to and has adapted quite quickly to the noise but we are not sure if he has a fixation with lights or if it has been the fireworks that has stated the problem. How do we stop him chasing after cars and car lights.

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I assume you work and therefore your dog has to be walked after dark? Is he on or off the lead when he gets fixated on cars/car lights?

3. Anncooper

Yes I'm in work during the day but home handy but he won't go for a walk with me only when my husband is there, which is now as it goes dark. He is on the lead as has grown up with it that way, we let him off the lead in the field when he is playing with his ball but he doesn't respond to you when you call him back.

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Well I'd certainly keep him on the lead if there is the slightest chance he could run after a car. Have you tried distracting him with high valued treats - a tube of Primula cheese/cheese and ham works really well with a lot of dogs (just squeeze a bit out towards his mouth when you see a car approaching).

5. Oddball82

Oddball82 PetForums Newbie

Hi do you have a clicker and is your dog interested in treats? I have a dog that I'm dealing with the same probably. Currently we click for glances at the car, gradually getting closer and closer, and give him a treat (an exercise got from the book called control unleashed). His car chasing was very extreme and it's taken him ages to be able to get close to the car. But, if your dog is very foody then you should find it easier.
    Hope you manage to break this rather dangerous habit :)

6. Anncooper

Th

Oddball82 likes this.
  7. Anncooper

Thank you I have heard of the clicker but not tried it as yet so will definitely give it a try

Oddball82 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice