Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Charlie

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Charity, May 21, 2020 at 11:02 AM.

1. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Some of you will remember me talking about my elderly friend's cat, Charlie, aged 22.

It's a very sad week, Charlie is coming to the end of his life. He was diagnosed with kidney disease about eighteen months ago and, brave little soldier that he is, he has done really well until the last few weeks. Last week he was put on a medication which really didn't suit him as he kept collapsing, couldn't walk and became very lethargic. Of course, we didn't know it was the medication at the time and assumed the worst. The vet reduced the dose and for three days he seemed brighter. Tuesday night he was lethargic again, not eating and generally disinterested in life. Again, the vet put it down to the tablets so reduced the dose again.

Yesterday morning my friend rang me in a panic as he wasn't doing well so she phoned the vet and got an appointment this morning. After a while yesterday, once again, he rallied. This morning he wasn't eating.

She rang me in tears a while ago as the vet has found a mass on one of his kidneys. He has given him a painkilling injection and says he wants to see him in a month's time. I don't think either my friend or I think it's going to last that long, so she just has to take it one day at a time.

The worst thing is, she is elderly, lives by herself and Charlie is her whole world. Because of the circumstances at the moment, she is having to bear this all on her own. We speak on the phone or e-mail every day and I have said I will come and stand outside her flat and talk to her through the window but she won't let me as we are both self-isolating. I feel so bad that she is having to go through this alone,

Please, everyone, send good vibes for dear Charlie, we know he won't get better but I know he will have precious days with my friend and, hopefully a peaceful, quiet journey when the time comes.

Charlie 2 at Christmas.JPG .

cheekyscrip likes this.
  2. MissyfromMice

MissyfromMice PetForums Senior

Sending warm, comforting vibes to Charlie and his dedicated mum.

Charity and Summercat like this.
  3. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

All the best vibes for Charlie to enjoy some more lovely days with his human!

4. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Such a sweet face. Sending lots of love to Charlie and his human. May they have as much quality time together as possible

5. Trixie1

Trixie1 PetForums VIP

Sending tonnes and tonnes of good vibes for little Charle and his mum and hoping they can spend more precious time together at this very difficult time x

6. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Oh Charlie :( I hope you are pain free and can rally to give you and your mum some more time together. I also hope that when the time comes, your journey to the Bridge is as peaceful as can be.

Charity likes this.
  7. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I remember Charlie. Hoping for some more good days for him at home.

Charity likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Much love to dear Charlie and comfort to his owner. xxx

Charity likes this.
  9. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Oh that’s so sad. What a time for your poor friend. I know how much you support her @Charity which is all you can do xxx

Sending bucket loads of love, good vibes and kisses for Charlie xx

Charity likes this.
  10. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

Oh no bless Charlie I remember your pics and stories of him. Sending love to your poor friend and shes lucky to have you. Lots of kisses and strokes for beautiful Charlie xxx

Charity likes this.
  11. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

Sending lots of comforting vibes to your friend @Charity & to sweet Charlie.
    May they still have some more time together, just being together.
    Thinking of them both xx

Charity likes this.
  12. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Yes I remember you mentioning them a few times. I think I made him a catnip mouse. Such sad news, poor Charlie & your poor friend. She will still have her wonderful memories of dear Charlie when he goes, though not the same thing, but she wouldn’t want him to suffer. I’m sure you’ll give your friend lots of support during this awful time. He looks a dear little cat. It’s lovely that he came into her life and vice versa.

I’m just down the road, if there’s anything I can do to help, e.g lift to the vet (with PPE), please let me know x

Charity likes this.
  13. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

Beautiful brave boy. Hoping they can make some more memories together xx

14. Charity

Thanks @TriTri, yes, you did make him some mice and you met her with me at the CP Fayre. :D She is quite mobile and drives herself to the vets so that isn't a problem. At the moment, she needs emotional support. He is lovely, she didn't adopt him until he was 16 after CP advertised him as being overlooked for a long time. I'd been trying to get her to have a cat for several years but she kept saying no, until she saw poor unwanted Charlie. They really are a good match and have given each other so much love and companionship..

TriTri, SbanR, ChaosCat and 1 other person like this.
  15. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I don't want to be jumping the gun or sound callous but perhaps if there's another unwanted lonely cat needing care and love, you might be able to persuade your friend to open her home and heart again.
    Looking after the needs of another cat would help fill her days and make her home less lonely

Charity and TriTri like this.
  16. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

I was thinking it must be her. Charlie has probably just had the best 6 years of his life. I hope she is up to giving a home to another cat. My mum talks about missing her Bernie most days, but sadly isn’t up to taking on another cat. I’m pleased she can drive and that she has you as her friend.

Charity likes this.
  17. Charity

I've had that thought myself @SbanR though I wouldn't say anything at the moment. She has said she didn't want another after Charlie, she is 80 years old so she wouldn't want a younger cat, it would have to be an older one, and I don't know if she could go through this again as I doubt she would be as lucky to have another one live to the age Charlie has. She lives in a communal care flat on the ground floor near a main road so a younger cat wouldn't be a good idea. Charlie just goes out for a wander round a small area of the garden on a lead.

I did wonder whether she might consider fostering older cats at a later stage though that means giving the cat up when a home is found. We shall have to see.

She's e-mailed me today to say Charlie is brighter, probably now he's not taking the drug which affected him. The big worry is him not weeing properly.

ewelsh and SbanR like this.
  18. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I hope Charlie is still ticking over and giving his owner some more precious time xx

Charity likes this.
  19. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Oh, what a handsome sweet boy he is.
    I hope he and his guardian manage to have some quality time together. x

Charity likes this.
  20. Charity

Thank you. It's up and down. Last night my friend was on the phone in tears but this morning she rang to say he's quite bright and had gone to the loo which is the main worry. I could hear him yelling in the background which is a good sign, he always does that when she is on the phone :D. He isn't eating much but that's to be expected I suppose. I just hope he can get through the weekend without any hiccups as her vets (RSPCA) are closed until Tuesday and she doesn't like the Emergency Vets much.

ebonycat, bluecordelia and ChaosCat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice