Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Charlie Only Wees At Home!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by alienandy, Aug 12, 2009.

1. alienandy

alienandy PetForums Junior

Well, here I am again! lol.

Still having big issues with pulling on the lead. But putting that to one side for the moment, the other thing that seems odd is how he does not want to wee anywhere other than our garden or my Auntie's garden. For instance the other day we took him on a long walk around a Park near us. We must of been out for about an hour. In that time he dived in a couple of man-made lakes, and drank loads of water. He MUST of been desperate for a wee, yet he still refuses to have one until he gets back. No sooner we got back to my Auntie's garden, than he went straight to one of her bushes and weed up it.

When I take him on walks anywhere, he does stop and sniff where dogs have been, but he never wees. Our last dog Jasper always left his mark. But Charlie just waits until he's home. This can't do him any good.

Any suggestions?

:blushing:

2. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

Koda is the same! He's really desperate sometimes when we get back from a walk!

3. rona

rona Guest

I assume they are worried about marking in another dogs territory so wait until they are back on their own turf :D
    How old are they?

4. alienandy

Charlie is almost 10 months old.

5. rona

rona Guest

If it really worries you, try collecting some of his wee and pour it somewhere on his regular walk and see if he will go there ;)
    It just might encourage him

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

First of all, when he wees in your garden, attach a word to it. I use 'biz' with my dog. When he's used to the word, he should start weeing on command. Then take him outside after feeding him a lot of very watered down sloppy food, so he will need to go. Stay out until he's weed - an hour is nowhere near long enough, reckon on 3 or 4, or all day! When you think he needs to go, use your command word and keep on saying it gently until he's weed - don't get impatient. When he wees on command, give him loads of praise and high-value treats like liver cake or fresh chicken.
    He is probably not very confident about leaving his mark, or has got the idea that it's only OK to go in his garden. It's a common problem.

7. badabing

badabing PetForums Junior

Cesar is the same he only does number 1's and 2's in our garden or to be precise on the pebbles out the back garden !!!:D

8. alienandy

Although your idea sounds a little bizarre, I would consider it. Except of course for one thing. How am I supposed to 'collect' his urine? Maybe I shouldn't ask! lol.

9. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

I agree with the others.

Put a word to it - it's always handy to have a dog that wees on command anyway, especially when it's late at night and cold and you want to go to bed and your dog is ambling around the garden, pausing only to sniff the air from time to time :rolleyes:

And rather than hanging around with a jam jar, maybe put a cloth under where he usually wees at home and then put it in a carrier bag to take out on a walk? Once he's "been" once at a particular spot (hopefully it will soak through the cloth and scent mark the ground so you don't have to spend the rest of your life carrying smelly cloths around), that should get him going :D

10. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

What a good little dog you have :p

Burrowzig is right in his suggestion though, I use the word piddles for my lot and it seems to work, it's the word I used to train them to pee in the garden when toilet training. If you do this, you have more control over where he does and doesn't pee which is much better than having a dog that will pee up against everything that sticks up out of the ground... thats just not good and can be embarrassing when they do it where they're not supposed to ;)

Two of my boys are pretty good mind, they don't pee that often out on walks but won't poo til they get home, the other boy will only go on concrete anyway :rolleyes:

11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

that should be right in her suggestion!
    I'm a woman.

12. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Oooops :blushing: sorry :)

yes :D

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

never mind! how were you to know?:D

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

My girl was the same until she was about seven months. She will now pee outside our garden but she won't poo.

#14 sequeena, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  15. alienandy

Thanks everyone for your input on this.
    I have already associated the word... ahem... "wee wees" with when he does one in the garden. So when I take him for walks, when he stops for a sniff I keep saying that to see if he then does one. But he doesn't!

I think the smell thing is the way forward.

It's a laugh isn't it? :smilewinkgrin:

16. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

rofl... good luck collecting it, can you please ask someone to video you and post it here :001_tt2:

I think your dog has exceptionally good manners btw :D

17. davehyde

davehyde Banned

he might decide to pee in the bag then lol.

sorry i'll get me coat.

18. alienandy

Yes, I can just picture me hunched over on our walks, holding an empty jam jar under his meat and two veg!
    :blush:Singing:

19. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

I've no suggestions other than the good ones you've already received but as far as the pulling is concerned, have you tried a Halti?

I honestly don't know of a singe dog that hasn't been completely changed by them.

[​IMG]

20. alienandy

Thanks for that.
    We already have one and unfortunately the clever little sod fights me as I try to get it on, and once on, he dives on the floor and pulls the thing off his snout with his paws. If the design of the halti had an extra strap going over his head to his neck then he couldn't get it off. But it doesn't. It's also a challange getting his lead on too!

One stubborn and very clever dog!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice