Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Charity has annoyed me!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by claire8234, Jun 29, 2017.

1. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

The local (to remain nameless) rescue/ rehoming charity I used to volunteer for has currently been advertising that they are desparate for cat food and its making me so cross....bear with me!!

I know for a fact that they have plenty of food, in fact some of it gets thrown away because it goes past its use by date.

I popped in to see one of the fosterers the other day and she had an entire workshop stacked floor to ceiling with food. She actually said she wasnt sure what she was going to do with it all.

When I took Tommy back I donated a big box of all his kitten food, tins of carny, granata pet and packs of bozita etc. There was quite a bit as Stitch doesnt like it.

When I went to feed the cats at the rehoming a few weeks ago I spotted the box of tommys food. I knew it was the stuff I donated - its hardly a mainstream brand and it hadnt been touched.

The other volunteer pointed to the box and said that it probably needed throwing out because it was old!!! Needless to say every cat got feed with bozita and carny :)

They also overfill bowls so much that you throw away more food than gets eaten.

I dont volunteer here anymore they got really funny with me when I said I couldnt help for a while (my daughter was critically ill in hospital!).

Why beg people for food when you already have so much and throw so much of it away!!

Calvine and cheekyscrip like this.
  2. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

Lol Sorry when I saw your title I thought another member had annoyed you which I thought was strange because @Charity comes across as a wonderful lady.

Yes it does annoy me when people are crying out for food yet at the same time throwing it out.

3. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

It's bad portion management!

4. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

I was in the shop our local rescue have last week, they had some dog food for sale, but not cat food - they need all they can get for the rescue cats.

I know when I've donated food I've not minded if they've used it for the cats or sold the more expensive stuff to fund vet bills etc. If they have this much stock you'd think they'd do the same or pass some on to another shelter.

LinznMilly likes this.
  5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

My heart missed a beat there as looking at your heading I thought you meant ME!!! Phew! :eek:

I must admit I give a lot of different foods to my local rescue and I know they like to feed Felix so I do wonder if the cats actually get what I donate. They do have fosterers so its possible it goes to them, that I don't mind at all. I wouldn't be very happy to know it got thrown away though..

claire8234, huckybuck and popcornsmum like this.
  6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

That's outrageous. I have happily eaten tinned food well out of date myself so I can't see it being harmful to cats. They could have given it to feral colonies or even homes on low incomes .

7. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I thought it was our lovely @Charity

Thank heavens it's not!!

claire8234 and Charity like this.
  8. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Phew! relief! thought you meant OUR Charity for a minute! she couldn't annoy anyone! lol!:Joyful

claire8234 and Jannor like this.
  9. Charity

Wanna bet! ;)

claire8234 and Soozi like this.
  10. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

Sounds like the person who manages the website isn't communicating well with the people who manage the food supplies! So frustrating that so much food is getting wasted. Puts you off donating anything :-(

11. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Shameful...I have cat food here, dry and wet, which is over its B/B date. The B/B date is only a required guideline. If you open it and it's fine (I've never known it not be) then use it. I feed raw, that's a bit different, but I've had friends give me boxes and bags of stuff when they were moving abroad and I keep it as ''spare''. Even after a couple of years it's fine and I've never had a cat with food poisoning...like never.
    I used to foster for a local charity and I eventually gave up as their rules were ridiculous...if I have a cat flap into my own garden I can let the foster-cat out (like it would not go over a fence). If, however, my cat flap opens on to a path between my garden and someone else's, the same cat has to be locked in.
    A friend of mine works p/t for Pets@Home to pay for her pony and she is constantly enraged that they prefer to dump cat and dog products over their date than give them to a charity. They now have a skip with CCTV to stop anyone from taking it. I say, if someone can use it, let them have it?

13. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

Hangs head in shame at poorly worded thread title :oops::oops:

SOrry @Charity xx - you have never annoyed me lol

14. Charity

That's OK :D

claire8234 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice