Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Charity begins at home well it should

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by suewhite, Apr 7, 2011.

1. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Last week I took an American friend to London to visit some museums:eek: I could not believe what I saw it was really awful weather and when we were walking to the station to get the train home there were all these homeless folk bedding down for the night alot of them looked no more than 18 some alot younger laying in doorways sleeping bags soaking wet.What the hells wrong with our governments past and present when they can let this happen:mad:

2. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

This is why I get annoyed when our government throws aid to other countries & also why I refuse to donate to any cause that isnt to do with the UK

My thoughts are deal with the poverty and abuse in your own country before giving much needed money to another one

Jazzy likes this.
  3. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Really opened my eyes going to London these were young kids living on the streets what hope have they got:mad:

4. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

They havent got any home esp with the muppet that we have running this country

5. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Yeah...never happened under Labour did it....:rolleyes:

6. harley bear

Where in my post did i say it never happened under labour? But with all the cuts and extra money that twit is giving to other countries there is even less money for people in need in this country.

7. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I could not agree more. Of course, if they were immigrants, they would get free housing, free benefits, free health care and free everything else. Even the illegal "asylum seekers" have comfortable beds, food and a roof over their heads.

A few years ago the local council were planning on spending £40,000 (and in the end did spend) to refurbish the High Street. I asked a campaigner who came round at that year's local election what the hell they thought they were doing spending this sort of money on beautifying the high Street and millions on a temporary millenium dome (it was about that time) when there were people living in cardboard boxes. Her response was that some people preferred to live like that. I am afraid she got the door slammed in her face.

It is a disgrace. The care system sort of chucks them out with a few pounds when they get to 18, don't want to know any more, and if the runaway kids go to the authorities, they get sent home, when they probably had a very good reason for running away in the first place. They can't get benefits at that age either.

Now I know how this thread is going to go, so I had better shut up, hadn't I?

8. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

you've obviously not been to yank land then, i toured the west coast in 2000 and there were loads of all ages (both sexes) bunking down in shop doorways just up from the 'nice' part of main shopping area (in san fran), saw that in every city i went to.

as someone once said.

if every one of us opened up our doors to the homeless and gave them the use of our spare rooms and treated them humanely, gave them a chance...

we'd be mad.

knowing a few homeless myself, there are goods and bads, and the bad ones know how to use the system so that the good ones get f-all cos the pots dry. there are even some 'homeless' who have a bloody home to go to but PRETEND to be homeless to get benefits.

on the other hand the bloke i met in sf when i was there in 2000, nicest bloke in the world.. homeless obviously for a reason, i never asked what but if all were like him.. there wouldn't be any at all.

never judge a book by it's cover...no matter how unwashed and unsavory it looks.

the gov could do more for them but it would cost an awful lot, that we don't have just now. having said that, it would be a good 'community service' for the crims, to do up disused buildings to be given to the homeless until they're demolished or the gov can buy them properly and make them into shelters.

9. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Why don't we have it? couldn't be because it is going to aid other countries and pay for second homes for the politicians, could it? I agree with the last part of your sentence - there are empty buildings all over the country, some with unknown ownership. They could be used to help these people.

10. harley bear

I think that the councils should put a stop to saving a certain percentage of their housing just for immigrants and give them to the people who need them now and stop these young kids sleeping on the streets:mad::mad:

11. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Is that what they do? I never knew that, that is disgusting! No wonder they can just come along and move into a house when English people spend years on a waiting list.

12. harley bear

Oh yeah! Dont quote me but i think its 40% of properties where we live are saved purely for immigrants.
    My friends daughter was being evicted by her landlord a few weeks back went to the council and they said the best she would get would be a highrise! She has two young kids and her oh ... its sick she could have been fresh of a boat and she would have had a house decorated and FULLY furnished even down to a hover and appliances! It really really p1sses me off that we get sod all and we are the ones who have paid into the system for years and years:mad:
    The council did a home visit to my friends daughter and he said himself if you havent got an asian name then you will be waiting years for a house.
    It may have all changed now but that was the case back in feb.

13. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

wouldn't matter if we had it right now, without the right gov in place it would never be used for that.

besides the bail outs are economic loans without helping them out then we may as well go back to rationing now cos we're not going to see bananas, foreign imports, and other 'exotic' items if the EU falls apart and takes the rest of the worlds economy with it.

The hand outs to foreign 'poor' states like india and china are the problem, we shouldn't be giving such rich prejudiced states help, or tbh we shouldn't be helping african countries either.. their govs need to know that we aren't going to keep their bread baskets alive any more.. they want internal wars and no populace.. as harsh as it is.. it should be on their heads not ours... and then we'll take out which ever despot wins.

14. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I worked with Centrepoint in London for a time back in the mid 90's and totally agree with the above. There were some folks in that situation who had fallen down on their luck & just couldn't rise back up again, no matter how hard they tried. My heart really went out to them because they really did want a better life.

Then there were the snotty little brats who had run away from home because their parents expected them to go to school/ get a job/ contribute to the household / stop dossing about etc. They were the ones who thought the world owed them a living and how dare we expect them to actually work for it. :mad: :mad:

I TOTALLY agree that charity must now begin at home but I also think great wisdom is needed on who that 'charity' should be applied to.

15. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

So, everyone who is hoping to get a council house should go off and change their name by deed poll to something Asian. I was already unhappy with the amount of immigrants we have getting something for nothing, you have just made me incensed!!:mad:

16. harley bear

Its right lol my friends daughter was infuriated and she said 'so you will only give me somewhere to live if i paint my fing face?!' They would rather see kids stuck in hostels then give them somewhere secure to live. I wouldnt mind if it was a fair system and it was on a first come first serve basis and houses were not being kept for people its bloody ridiculous!

17. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

My niece waitied 7 years for a one bed council place. My daughter was laughed at, unless she was, a single mum , pregnant or on benefits,then they could not help her:mad: :mad: No They are both tax payers ,that explains it then doesn't it:eek: (Conservative seat !!)

#17 northnsouth, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  18. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

they should do what they were going to do (did?) in london with the affordable housing blocks the wee flats that where for those who earned under a certain amount.

abit japanese in size but you got bigger sizes depending on how much you earned.. so uner 20k super small, under 30k medium and under 40k 'luxurious'. but once you earned over those you had to move either up or out and your rent was done accordingly. you couldn't get in if you were a dosser like but was mainly for folk like nurses, low paid essential workers and graduates etc.

bit of a squish for 2 folk but doable.

i don't see why they can't do that in every city, they were like capsule homes or something, i'd have had one! it was fully-integrated furnishings etc abit like student halls or something but any damage came out of your pocket, communal gardens etc.

it would take the hassle off folk like my mate, for instance, who only managed a mortgage cos her dad died!! bit of a steep price to pay at 30 just to afford a decent house of her own.

it would take the burden off the council so they can provide housing for those who really need it and not those who just want to move out of the family home. I'm afraid i didn't technically leave home until 5 years ago.. i'm 34. i couldn't afford it on 11k. we only afford our house cos a gran died and left us money for most of the house! without that we'd be married living at 1 of 3 parents, or in a tincy flat. cheapest flat down here is 90k, studio flat!!!!

The councils only have themselves to blame.. they give the housing away to eejits that don't need it or are working the system. those honest folk who REALLY need a house.. not preggers kids who don't WANT to live with parents, SHOULDN'T be first on the list alongside immigrants with no financial support or job prospects.

19. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

We have so many empty office blocks here. There is one that was being built when I started a job in 2000 when I was made redundant in 2010 it was still standing empty...And they are still allowing more to be built. There was some developer who wanted to take a couple of office block on but he was denied planning permission :mad:

#19 northnsouth, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice