Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Charities

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sallyanne, Jul 8, 2009.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Ok,
    We know some of them need to fundraise etc and need new members but do they really need to waste money by calling people on the phone and at the most inconvienent times and trying to get them to take out membership ?

This annoys me,I had the RSPB on the phone two nights ago,I said I would join simply to get them off the phone however I never give my bank details out over the phone as you simply don't know who you are talking too.

I also blocked the number, we do our bit we feed the wild birds,have nest boxes etc.

So is it really necessary for charities to pester people at home ?

2. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I think it's quite rude for charities to pester people at home.
    And some people I've spoken to, class it as begging for money.

If we really wanted to give to that 'certain' charity, surely we'd already have done it by now? Though for some maybe not, we've had these types of phone calls a lot, but my mum also won't give out bank details over the phone.

Though don't get me wrong, if I had enough money I would donate to quite a few charities.

And as harsh as it may sound I prefer to give to the smaller charites, rather than the big ones as there is so much said about where the money actually goes, who knows what is the truth and what isn't though.

3. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I don't think it helps very much :(

like you say, people get annoyed by it! And for the amount of money they make from people signing up through the phone calls, they probably spend loads more than that ringing people up and stuff :/ so it's probably not worth it!

If a charity were to ring me i'd just wonder why they were wasting their money ringing me instead of putting it to a good cause.... like, if I was to start giving them money, would I just be paying their phone bill for them or would I really be helping animals?

Like you say, you do your bit for your local birds so i'd consider that good enough!

I'd rather give my money to a smaller local charity like a local rescue or a local hospice or something, rather than donate it to a huge national or international charity where the money would probably get lost in spending for advertising :(

4. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

:laugh: we practically put the same things there lol!

We were given a talk at college once by a man from the RSPCA, and he said that the money people pay to the RSPCA through Direct Debits from the TV advertising campaign actually goes to their headquarters..... none of it goes to the local rescue centres. They get given VERY little money by the HQ, so if anyone wanted to donate money to the RSPCA, give it straight to your local rescue, because that is where the money is really needed :) or donate things like blankets, bedding, collars, leads and toys :)

5. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Yeah exactly, I don't want to donate to rescues if the money doesn't go towards the care of the animals.

At the moment I only donate to a local hospice which is close to my heart as my gran and grandad were taken care of there for a while and I know for a fact it is only run by donations. :)

6. animallover111

This is a bit different but i rang the RSPCA last week as i was concerned about a dog they took my details ie name,address etc then asked if i would be happy to make a donation over the phone there and then,she then proceeded to tell me £10 would do so much...£25......she got to £50!! :eek: :eek: i just thought this was so rude i had rang for advice about an animal yet they were pestering me for money!!!....to be honest they were not in the least bit concerned about the dog in question....which i now have living with me :( :(

7. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

That is very rude :(

If you were ringing to donate money then you would've said that! I'd have told them that i'd donate £500 if they come out and help the animal!!!

....I don't have £500 to give away but if it got them off their backsides :D

8. animallover111

Apparently they ask if you would like to give a donation every time you call the national number for them..............:eek:

To be honest though i am glad they didnt do anything about my concern as we now have the dog and at least we know she is safe!!

9. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

That's true :D at least she's not locked up in a cold horrible kennel somewhere! are you going to keep her?

10. animallover111

no no no no no no!!!!we have 5 dogs at the mo,3 of our own and 2 here temporary both fosters are labs one has been here 2 weeks and hopefully has a home to go to but now we have another lab fingers crossed if everything goes well they will be going together its one of my super clients who they will be going to they are fab dogs and would keep them but then would have no room for fostering :(

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I've had plenty of people coming to my house. It's quite sad really, I try to interrupt them but they keep talking. They ask me my age. I don't know whether to pity them or be amused when I tell them I'm 20 and their face falls because I'm not 21.

:rolleyes:

12. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

LOL I get that in town! They stand right in the middle of the town centre so everyone has to walk past them, and they'll walk up to me and start chatting about the charity for ages, then go "....how old are you?" I always tell them i'm 17, cos a lot of them will accept anyone 18+ to donate/join up so that always gets them off my case!

Either that or i'd just say that i'm already donating to them through work or something :)

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I already donate to quite a few people, dogs trust, nspcc, cancer research and the donkey sanctuary. It's sad but I cannot afford to give any more people money every month

14. savebiodiversity

savebiodiversity PetForums Newbie

I didn't know charities called people home to save poor animals.
    I find more fastidiuos the animal food spot and farmaceuticals spots?Do you find it sustainable?
    Making business playing with the heath of the people?
    I hate marketing telephone calls.
    I thank those that keep civil people informed about how science is contaminated and we should get informed and know the truth.
    http://www.mmail.com.my/content/7239-monkey-lab-french-proposal-johor-lab-draws-uk-protest
    Home : Save the primates
    Great apes suffer setback in EU animal testing vote
    I keep informed as I can
    Great apes suffer setback in EU animal testing vote
    http://www.examiner.com/x-4198-Vega...rview-with-Friends-of-Animals-Priscilla-Feral
    Primarily Primates - Main
    Actually I'm developing interest for alternative medicine.
    And I avoid circuses
    http://www.examiner.com/x-10660-Eau...-The-cruelty-of-enslaving-intelligent-animals

#14 savebiodiversity, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  15. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Haha, Portia it's exactly the same in my town, I say I'm 17 every time I go past lol.
    x

16. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

hehe I think i'm gonna have to start telling them that i'm donating through work, cos i'm not gonna look 17 for much longer LOL

I don't really donate to any charities :( I always put change in the collection box things if I have any in my purse, and I only give to animal charities. I know that might sound a bit mean, but most of the big 'human' charities get loads of donations and loads of backing from celebrities and stuff so I prefer to give to smaller charities :)

17. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

i joined the RSPB because i had a great chat to some bloke who called me up and told me all about what they were doing, and cos we get to free tickets to a bird sanctuary and me and OH are keen photographers. (he has a stupidly expensive canon, i have his old single stuck lens cheapo job that i love cos it's simple)

i don't mind them calling me up as i generally have time to talk when i'm at home, and it's usually animal charities that call up. but i hate them coming round my house (people charities especially). I had one old lady come round collecting money pouches that she'd popped through the door and said do you have your donation pouch, and i said I don't have anything to give, looked at me rather rudely and said, it's for such and such charity. I repeated Sorry, i don't have anything to give, she tutted, gave me a dirty look and stalked off.

My OH works for a well known people charity and gives them lots of his time (he does get paid obviously) I give to about 3 charities, AND other organisations like the RNLI (my dad's a sailor), rescue helicopters (a friend of ours would have died if not for that lot) etc get large-ish donations sporadically through out the year from us.

I hate getting accosted on the street by charities, not cos i feel guilty but cos i give to who I WANT TO give to because I think they're worthy of my hard earned cash. It annoys me that other charity's minions think i should give even more even when i've explained how many i already give to! :cursing:

18. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

We seem to have had a spate of Charities doorstep calling here. Even though our housing assoication have signs on our doors stating that we don't want uninvited callers.

One man with a clipboard knocked on the door they day my husband had been made redundant from his job. He said he was with Scope and was trying to get me to set up a direct debit with them. When I explained that my husband had just lost his job and at that point in time we effectively had no income he told me not to worry as the first payment wouldn't come out for a month. What part of NO NAFF OFF don't you get?

I support many charities with money donations and donations of clothes etc. If I wish to support a charity then I will go out there and find it, I don't want it banging on my door demanding money and then guilt tripping me when I don't agree to sign up.

19. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

Although, i dont phone people İ am one of those awful fund raisers. İ hassle people when they are on holiday to donate either food or money to our rescue centre. i stand outside supermarkets - markets etc... İ know people hate it but unfortunately it is a necessary evil. Sorry on behalf of all fundraisers!!

20. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

box shakers are different. most box shakers can also be avoided or ignored but the folk that actively pounce on you and just start talking or walking with you..
    "ooh but this charity is for local nae-thumbs (people)....witter witter"
    "aye? that's nice mate, i'm nae local." :cursing:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice