Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

chappie dog food

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by spamvicious, Jun 17, 2017.

1. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

When I was moving house a family friend looked after Star for the day. Against my wishes she gave Star Chappie and since then Star won't eat her normal food. What's chappie like? is it bad for dogs? and can a puppy eat it?.

2. Blackadder

Blackadder PetForums VIP

Chappie isn't bad for dogs & puppies can certainly eat it, as you have found out :)

For dogs with sensitive tummys it's a go to food for many people, it works a lot of the time.

3. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

It's fine. It's not top of the charts, but the best food is whatever your dog likes and thrives on. I know that @Muttly was having trouble with him not eating until she switched him onto Chappie and all of a sudden he was clearing the bowl and doing really well

4. spamvicious

I've been feeding her on Wainwrights dry food with some Wainwrights wet food mixed in but for the past three days she's barely eaten any food. I was worried it was down to moving house but she's still accepting the odd treat so it can't be that.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe she just prefers Chappie?

Honestly, I'd take the line of least resistance and give her Chappie :)

6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Our Chessie has had to live on just Chappie for the last 10 years due to health issues, he's 12 now and doing well :D

7. SixStar

SixStar Banned

No way would I have a growing puppy on tinned Chappie. It has its uses, but for me, personally, one of those uses isn't a sole feed for a pup.

Rafa likes this.
  8. spamvicious

This is what I'm worried about. I'll have to find something she will eat. Maybe I just have to switch to giving her all wainwrights puppy wet food and see if that works?

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

OR, you could just be firm, offer her what you want to feed for 20 mins, and if she doesnt eat it take it away and give her nothing until her next meal time.

She WILL eat. But she will also 'play the system' if you chop and change and give in.

If you want to give her treats, give her her dry food until she is eating her meals properly.

lullabydream and rona like this.
  10. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Why not mix a bit of chappie with the pups normal food and see if you can encourage her to eat then you can gradually phase out the chappie. Its alright for adult dogs, mine has it mixed with her prescription diet because its low fat but a growing puppy really needs a more suitable food.

11. rottieboys

rottieboys PetForums Senior

My Max has Burn dry food and chappie Bit of each. Loves it

rona and Lurcherlad like this.
  12. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Bungo has a 50/50 mix of Chappie and Lovejoys and not only does he enjoy it, but he looks great on it.

Nothing wrong with any food for as long as your dog thrives on it :)

Muttly, rona, Lurcherlad and 2 others like this.
  13. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

My first choice will always be raw, as it will be for future dogs. It's only because Muttly couldn't cope with the raw that he's on Chappie wet. He went onto this at age 3, so was fully grown.
    I will be honest, even though it doesn't look good on paper, Muttly has never looked so great and had so much energy. That's the Chappie :)

rona, MiffyMoo and ForestWomble like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice