Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Changing to a more natural diet

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Cassie112, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Cassie112

Cassie112 PetForums Newbie

There is salt but it says it's essential for a cat to have salt

I hope I'm not meant to add it to his new meat!

2. Cassie112

This is from the Purina website

Salt
    Sodium is one of the essential dietary minerals required by cats and dogs. Salt in the form of Sodium chloride plays an important role in helping the nervous system to work effectively. The correct balance of certain minerals called electrolytes (e.g. sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium) are also closely tied to supporting water balance to stop the body having too little (and becoming dehydrated), or too much water. The amount of sodium in PURINA® pet food is only present at safe levels and is part of a 100% complete and balanced diet.

I hope he is getting enough with his new food

3. Cassie112

Ok, a bit of research and it seems he should get all the sodium he needs from meat. I'm hoping that maybe as he was eating both wet and dry food before he was getting too much which was making him drink more and therefore urinate more! I'll keep an eye on him for a few more days but he really is looking it much better condition on his new diet and is full of energy so hopefully all ok x

Paddypaws likes this.
  4. Pinto

Pinto PetForums Member

5. Cassie112

Same again this morning, absolutely nothing to scoop in any of his trays, had breakfast then just once in the one tray. I'm only scooping two or three times at the moment and usually just the one tray, it was every hour or so before in all three trays. No sign of his previous runny stools either which is such a relief for both of us. He hated having his bloomers cleaned :)

I'm so glad we stopped his dry food and felix pouches, he doesn't seem to be looking for food to graze on in between mealtimes like he was before and the odd time he does go looking we give him some chicken breast. He's looking fabulous and has endless energy :) I can't believe how quickly we've seen such an improvement either, his coat is so shiny it looks like he has been scattered with glitter and he is happier with grooming as it doesn't seem to be as knotty.

I'm still hoping to start making his food myself but there is so much to learn first, so until I feel totally confident he can stay on the Natures Menu. I'm going to brave giving him chicken wing at the weekend though so we'll see how he gets on with the bone!

Pinto likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

When he had runny stools he was probably drinking more water to compensate for the loss of fluids in the stools. His body was telling him to do that to prevent dehydration.

Now he is on a wet food diet, and his stools are firmer I would expect him to have about 3 or 4 fairly big pees during a day. If he was previously peeing every hour or so in all 3 trays that was a heck of a lot. :eek: His urine output now sounds more normal, especially for a kitty on a wet diet. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice