Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Changing Storm to raw

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by salemsparklys, Aug 23, 2013.

1. salemsparklys

salemsparklys PetForums Senior

Storm is a 7 yr old Alaskan Malamute, long story short, husbands brother and wife are getting divorced and as they know we loved and wanted Storm since he was a pup, they asked us to have him:D We spend a lot of time with them and Storm spends a lot of time at our house so it was perfect as we had to rehome our other moot for aggression towards our little boy/nephew:(

So, he was fed Tesco dry food with meaty chunks, our Border collie was getting JWB and we had thought about changing Storm over. Anyway, we went out and got the food he was used too, SIL said do not be surprised if he doesn't eat for a day or so as he does this a lot, but we put it down to next door feeding him pies and stuff:eek:

So he didn't eat his dinner, or his breakfast then left his dinner again:mellow:, we tried a small handful of the JWB which he refused, as a last resort we tried some wet food, nope, not interested:frown5:.

I then remembered we had some of Nanuqs frozen raw in the freezer, so we defrosted and popped it out, he had a little lick at it, but it was still a little cold, so warmed it up to room temp and he ate it:)

So he has been here a week and still not touched any dry food at all, but he will eat chicken mince and chicken breast raw. Had a read of the fab sticky and feel raw maybe the way to go for him so when he goes to get his booster in Sept we will have him weighted and make sure we are feeding the right amount for him:)

Any hints/ideas/tips are most welcome:D

2. Prowl

Prowl Guest

The lad has only been with you a week if he is not eating I would put it down to him not having settled in full it could take a few weeks for him to settle or a few months.

If Tescos is what he is used to stick to it for now until he has fully had time to settle and then change his food otherwise if you change to raw too soon you may find he will go off it too.

Do you mean your neighbours are feeding him pies or your relatives neighbours??

This could also conribute to why he is not eating. Be sure that he is not filling up elsewere.

3. salemsparklys

salemsparklys PetForums Senior

He would go days without eating at my BILs house, they just chucked it away and gave him fresh, SIL said I don't think he really likes it but its all we can afford. He's been here when they are on holiday etc and always been funny about eating it , they used to feed him wet food but stopped as he's a messy eater, likes to put it on the floor and eat.
    He has the dry food down, he just refuses to eat it, doesn't matter if we don't offer anything else.
    My SIL's neighbours fed him, he gets nothing extra here other than his meals and a bone from the Butcher, which he likes to lick rather than eat.

Raw was always the plan for our other moot so its a road we are happy to go down.

4. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice