Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Changing cat foods

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jo Deeley, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Jo Deeley

Jo Deeley PetForums Junior

Hey all!
    I think I’ve been over zealous in swapping from felix to whiskas dry to Bozita (after reading up on here!)
    2 cats have coped fine, one this lunchtime vomited. Haven’t seen him do that since but he’s very subdued tonight, not wanting attention, off food (even treats) he just want to hide under a cupboard away from us breaks my heart!!
    Have I done it too quickly for him? I want them off this cheap stuff!
    Any tips??

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

A change of diet should always be done slowly so as to avoid upset tummies. So take a few days over the process.

Start with a teaspoonful served on a separate dish alongside their Felix in a separate dish. If they eat the sample then increase to 2 teaspoonfuls next day. If that is eaten and there is no adverse reaction (loose stools, diarrhoea or vomiting) increase the new food to one heaped tablespoonful and reduce the Felix by the same amount.

If all is well with tummies, you can give them half Felix and half Bozita the next day (both in separate dishes). Next day three quarters Bozita and one quarter Felix, and finally all Bozita and stop the Felix. If there is an upset tummy or vomiting after a such careful/gradual introduction then it suggests Bozita does not agree with the cat in question.

Gallifreyangirl, bcats and Jo Deeley like this.
  3. Jo Deeley

great advice thanks, I knew I must’ve done it too suddenly! Will definitely try this

chillminx likes this.
  4. Jo Deeley

Worked perfectly thank you!! All three cats now eating nicely and no need for biscuits or felix! Job well done x

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Excellent news! :)

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice