Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

changin walk times due to weather

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by chianya, Apr 9, 2011.

1. chianya

chianya PetForums Senior

#1 chianya, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Yes, I def change my routine. As I find it tends to get hotter in the early evening here I usually try and get up stupidly early a couple of times a week so they can have a good, long off lead run then its just little half hour walks in the evening the rest of the week.
    Although I have breeds that dont really need much exercise at all anyways. I wonder how northern breeds get on though. Do they try and chill out or still want to run for miles??:confused:

3. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

We've been changing ours slowly over the past few weeks but changed it by a few hours today, both were walked before the 'hottest time' of the day. I'm glad because it's cooler in the mornings and less people/prams/obstacles about :)

4. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

This is Tummels first summer so i've no idea...he loves the heat so so far i've been doing a walk usually at 7am, a midday walk and his evening walk(anytime after 5pm). I found with the heat Tummel doesn't need such a long walk to get tired but he does enjoy the heat so we go out in the afternoon as well. I try to give him at least an hour offlead each day :)

5. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

summer it gets boiling in cyprus. we dont go out after 8am and before 7pm.

6. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Yes! Having to get up earlier for walks and playing. Other wise they get way too hot especially my poor Enzo (pug). :(

Bella is not too fussed loves sunbathing in the garden but walks midday are still too much heat for her.

7. louise5031

louise5031 Guest

Usually in the summer I still do the main walk at the same time (morning) - but take him for a river walk so he can swim to keep cool. If that's not do-able I think little and often is the key, short gentle walks and mental games in the shade etc :)

8. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Yes, our routine changes too. Morning walk stays at 6/7am but the evening walk is pushed back until about 8 or even 9.

9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes. Instead of 10.00 am and about 4.00pm I change to very early morning and late evening as it gets hotter.

10. WeimyLady

WeimyLady PetForums Senior

Hmm, well it is hardly tropical in early April!

No I don't change walking times unless it is very hot, which to be honest it very rarely is in this country.

11. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

It was 20c here today, my black dogs couldn't cope in that and it's uncomfortable for us come midday...

12. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I change my routine in hot weather, but not walk times, I change location. I am lucky because there is a small clean river near us so I take them down by the river and get them to swim to cool off on hot days :)

13. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I don`t change the times, as he is happy to walk with me in the heat... I just don`t go and do anything daft like play games with him in the heat.

He gets his walks on the school run regardless of weather and a walk over the fields, where he can run through the pools etc

All the playing is saved for when we get back home and he can play in the back garden, where theres a cool kitchen and a bowl of water at his beck and call.

14. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

we're getting by thanks to play in the garden and late evening walks.

we get a lift to the park in the summer, and they peg about for 1/2 hour, drink lots, peg about (a bit slower) for a while, another rest, go again, another rest, till they are pooped then we go home and they sleep for 3 days :lol:

15. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

we have moved our walks to about 6pm ish now. Have the fan on in the house and also a paddling pool in the garden for the dog. combine that with the dog lollies she has when its really hot and she seems happy!

16. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

I've been walking clover at 6 am and after 6PM.. love the early morning walks :)

17. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

It's often too hot in this country for dogs to be running about. Have you ever seen a dog with heat exhaustion? I have, and it's not nice.

For us, the bergies could cope because their coats are designed by nature to keep them cool in hot weather, but we've adjusted the times we take the border collies out to earlier and later becuse they love running around so much - much better in the cooler early mornigs and evenings.

18. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

we (mostly me:tongue_smilie:) are taking ours out really early mornings or late evenings now its far to risky to let them exert themselves in higher temperatures.

although sibes like the other Nordic breeds have a double coat which insulates not only from the cold but the heat aswell meaning they cope very well in high temperatures, infact better than breeds which evolved in temperate climates, like any dog they shouldnt be exercised when temperatures are at their highest.

#18 noushka05, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  19. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Mine are walked before the sun comes up, and after it goes down in the hot weather.

Oscar is currently lying on a cotton sheet, with a fan on him, in the coolest room in the house and he is still panting like mad. Im really dreading summer.

20. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I change so my dog gets walked early in the day and ,then in the evening when its this hot, for those that let their dogs swim please dont forget in this heat the algae that forms in ponds/river can be very dangerous to dogs

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice