Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Changes for the better.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Dogless, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Do you know those points at which you think that your dog is 'getting it'?

The first time that I thought this was at around 6 or 7 months of age and then this week I have been thinking the same :thumbup1:.

I sat in the car after this morning's walk very proud of my boy and realised that I had been feeling like that after every walk for the past week or so.....no monumental milestone has been reached; but just basic obedience, excitement and impulse control stuff. This morning for example he was fantastic offlead with other dogs about, did exactly as I asked him to :). Then, we went to PAH and he walked calmly through the busy car park (used to be a bit skittish) and into the shop, didn't pull to try and reach anything (food :rolleyes:), responded to any 'leave its' given, sat and waited nicely whenever asked to and sat and let folk fuss him very politely. To top it all, he walked beautifully back through the car park and I suddenly realised that he was becoming much calmer and 'steadier' :aureola::aureola:.

I hope I haven't jinxed anything and a horrid teen will emerge :eek::eek: and I know that we will still have our fair share of bad days and training woes.....but I just had to share with folk who understand :D:D.

2. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

I am a bit jealous. Terence is going through a bit of a wild phase at the moment. He is really pushing my buttons sometimes and it's really hit and miss with him. He is either really lovely or a complete menace. I am sticking to my guns with him, and can only hope he gets. better.

One thing where I noticed an improvement is in his training class. He is only slightly mad now, not a complete nutjob. ;)

missnaomi likes this.
  3. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I can relate 100%. It's those gradual changes...and when we sit back a reflect we realise how big the overall improvement has been!
    Well done Kilo for being such a star!

4. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

It's wonderful when you get those moments of realisation, the changes can be so slow, like watching a seedling grow. we really could do with time lapse photography and I so wish I had written a diary of Tink's training/behaviour. It's so easy to forget all the wonderful progress they have made.

Well Done gorgeous Kilo for making your mum so proud.

5. Mophie

Mophie PetForums Senior

I have moments like that too. Donnie is still an hyper mental puppy in his head and gets distracted so easily but he is having more and more days where he walks to heel. Sits at curbs without having to tell him. And he's starting to ignore some dogs and some people we're doing it in little steps. :)

6. springer owner

springer owner PetForums Junior

Aww what a lovely post! Im pleased to read posts like this one, knowing that I am on a tough journey with my young hooligan but that there is light at the end of the tunnel! Ahh keep up the good work!! Hopefully one day soon I might be able to post that we've finally cracked it with Milo.:001_tongue:

Attached Files:

7. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Dont worry it will all change when his spots come through :w00t: :lol:

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

After much deliberation I had him vaccinated against spots. There is a Dally here; so far they have not been in close enough contact to catch them, but I thought I would play it safe :thumbsup: :yesnod:.

9. Honey Bee

Honey Bee PetForums VIP

I am just so pleased for you and Kilo. It takes so much patient to train them that when they behave so well, like he did today, you just feel over the moon. Well done to you both. x

10. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Thank you everyone; told hubby, he said "he is a good boy" in that distracted way that means he either isn't listening and is playing a geeky PS3 game or just doesn't get how much work I have put in :rolleyes:. Or both :w00t: ;).

11. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

Well done Kilo! It is always funny how they improve slowly and you suddenly think, 'Hang on this used to be really bad!' and they do seem to grow out of it.

Others are still very much a work in progress like Jenny :rolleyes: I know she is nervous and wary of strangers but she has got much better with people being in the house as long as they ignore her. My friend came over and went to stroke her and she snapped so we have gone back again :( Damn jet lag meant I wasn't aware of the situation and hubby is not really able to read the situation but she hasn't snapped at anyone for about a year now.

One day I will be able to post on here that Jenny has let somebody other than family stroke her :D

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Yes you will :D:D.

Another poster (Sarah1983 I think) mentioned that they kept a training diary on one thread - think that is a great idea so progress can be seen. I like that thought and keep toying with the idea of doing one!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice