Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Change of pecking order?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by CAPA7, Oct 31, 2012.

1. CAPA7

CAPA7 PetForums Member

We have very recently moved house (today is Wednesday and we moved on Saturday). So far the two kittens (5 months old, BSH) have been doing ok, they don't seem overly distressed or anything, but I have noticed a couple of changes in their behaviour.

The main one is that in our old place, Tomo, tough significantly smaller in size, was always the dominant one. However in here, Yomi has become the boss overnight and whilst I can't say that she actively bullies Tomo, she makes it clear that she expects her to be submissive.
    Tomo now sleeps most of the day when she used to be an active, mischievous kitten. I give her as much attention and cuddles as I can to reassure her, but sometimes she seems not to want them.
    On the other hand, Yomi was always the shy one and was never a lap cat, whereas now in the new flat she is constanly demanding to be petted. Tomo will not often come near me while I am petting Yomi.

Can moving house upset the kittens' pecking order overnight? Do I have to get used to this new hierarchy or will things smooth themselves down later? It is still very very early days so I suppose there is still time?

2. stever

stever PetForums Newbie

Different environments require different adaptation. However, I would wait and see if these new behaviors persist.

3. CAPA7

CAPA7 PetForums Member

They do seem more settled now, but Yomi is still the new boss. It's strange to see Tomo being so submissive, but seeing how she was a bit of a bully in the past, perhaps it was time she had a taste of her own medicine!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice