Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

change of career

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wiz201, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

As title really. I'm 28 as some of you may know, and wanting to expand my horizons a bit. I've always been good with computers, and interested in how human resources work, I've applied for a job in the Yorkshire building society at their head office in Bradford near M606.
    More pros than cons really - cuts my journey time to work and back in half. Currently I'm working in Shipley (just other side of Bradford) and travelling to Huddersfield and back takes 30 mins on a morning at six am, and about 40 mins mid afternoon.
    Work in the office post room (can't say where I work on a public forum due to their rules) has gone way down. Most of the work is done in the morning and I'm left twiddling my thumbs. Its a good thing I'm able to leave at half past two due to the flexi system. Yorkshire building society head office also offers flexi system to some certain roles, so I'm kinda hoping that system will be available to an HR administrator (the position I'm applying for), but if not its not a big problem with the location.
    Money is more or less going to be garaunteed slightly more than what I'm being paid at the moment, so the savings in petrol will hopefully go hand in hand.
    I've never said this to my manager, but I've never been 100% happy, and now the works gone down its more depressing to come into work every day. I've never been happy with my manager either, I know she did lose one of her kids in the afghan war two years ago but it doesn't really excuse her perfomance here.
    The only thing that's slightly concerning me is job security, but dad has said that building socities tend to buy each other out meaning they don't need to make staff cuts, and no job is ever secure these days.
    So I'm kinda hoping I get picked for this job, I've submitted the application online last night with an updated CV. Just posting for support really :scared:

2. K9Steve

K9Steve PetForums VIP

Wiz201, don't you have to have a degree from university to work in Human Resources over there in the UK? I know here in the states, before anyone can work in this field, they have to be proficient with labor, union, and other laws too, so this is part of why a college degree is a must.

All I can say is that if you have this in your educational background and/or you have had some years of experiences in the field, I don't see why you can't get a job in the HR department anywhere.

3. Sal1972

Sal1972 PetForums Member

Good luck!! let us know how you get on :D

4. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Yorkshire Building Society

This is their requirements:
    Have a good working knowledge of Word and Excel
    Have good attention to detail and ability to work accurately
    Have excellent customer service skills and the proven ability to provide exceptional service
    Have good communication skills both written and verbal
    Have exceptional organisation skills
    Previous HR administration experience is desirable

I'm not put off by the last requirement. No specific grades or education required seemingly.

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Best of luck.
    I chnaged career at the beginning of the year - when writting aplications/CV write your skills to reflect the new job requirements.

6. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

oh I did, I had to write a lot about what I've done in 8 years lol

7. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Bit of a disappointed update - the job above turned out to be only temporary despite it not being clear it was in the advert. They were going to invite me for an interview though so that bit was good. No point in moving to a temporary job from a permament one.
    But I have sought another job I've just applied for last week for court admin posts in several town locations including mine which is Huddersfield. Means that if I'm successful in getting a job there my journey time to work will be cut down to five minutes from 40 mins :thumbup: so fingers crossed I get this one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice