Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Change of behaviour during the day

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by tordiamond, Jul 22, 2009.

1. tordiamond

tordiamond PetForums Member

Hi all,i have a 20 month old english bull terrier and in the past i have wriitten threads about his aggressive behaviour towards my other two dogs,but this last month he has started being funny when he is fed teatime.In the mornings he will eat his food fine with me in the same room,but come teatime he will bark and rush at my feet as if he wants to bite them,sometimes i have stood infront of him so he doesn,t think i am scared of him but then i have to shut the door on him and he will continue to bark at anyone who enters the kitchen as he can see them through the glass door,tried feeding him in the garden but he just barks at the door and doesn,t touch his food.To go back in the room he,s in we have to have a treat ready,we get him to sit give him the treat and then put him in his crate,does anyone have any ideas why he,s
    like this teatime and not any other time.Thanks.

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

In my opinion this is dominance. I cannot give a reason as to why this has started, but like any canine behaviour, it is how you deal with it that prevents it escelating..

How does it start? For example, as you are preparing his dinner?

3. tordiamond

tordiamond PetForums Member

It starts when i go to get his bowl and from then on he just starts acting up,i know its a dominance thing but can,t understand why its only with his evening meal,i have got a behaviourist in mind and hopefully he can help with the problem as my bitch is pregnant and she don,t need the hassel of him starting and stressing her out.

4. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

What's your routine? Is he exercised before meal times? My cocker pup is very excitable so to calm her down before eating, she has a short walk then we do a couple of minutes of training, which exercises her mind and helps her to calm down. I lawys make her sit and wait for her food too - I can put it on the ground in front of her and she'll wait for me to give the signal to eat. It was quite easy to teach with her - I've heard bullies can be a bit more stubborn!

5. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Do you feed him when he is "acting up", or do you wait until he is calm?

Maybe try getting his bowl, when he starts, put the bowl away and walk away. It may take an hour or two for him to get fed, but he only gets fed, when he is sitting down nicely and is calm. You can then move onto what Birdie Wife has suggested and put his food down, but not allow him to eat until you say.

I'm sure if you practice this and don't stand for any nonsense, you will sort the problem out.

Is he neutered?

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice