Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Change in Taste

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Nigar2711, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Nigar2711

Nigar2711 PetForums Junior

Hello, I have an 8 month old kitten and he has recently been neutered (2 weeks ago) strangely after the surgery he seemed to have stopped eating his favourite food as much. He used to gobble up the kitten grau cans and kitten bozita packs. But after he just seemed to not eat them as much anymore. I read that after surgery they might not be as hungry for the first week but Its been a while and it hasn't changed.
    Should I be worried?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Nigar2711 - I think you should only be concerned if there are any signs of him being unwell.

Is he eating his usual amounts of food? (even if is not the same makes of food he ate before his op)

Is he gaining weight? (weigh him once a week at the same time of day, on digital scales and keep a record).

Is he using his litter trays as normal? Peeing and pooing OK? No straining, or crying in the trays?

Is he licking his 'nether regions' more than usual?

Is he playful, active, energetic and responsive? Is he sleeping more than usual?

Cats are very good at making associations between one thing and another. It is possible that when he came home from his neuter op he did not feel very well because of the anaesthetic, and so perhaps did not enjoy his usual foods as much as before. This negative association might be a lasting one, or it may be that in a few months time he will be happy to eat the Bozita and the Grau again.

3. Nigar2711

Nigar2711 PetForums Junior

Alright, I'll keep an eye out thank you. It has been quite worrying.

chillminx likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Nigar2711 - As you are worried I would have a word with your vet on the phone in the morning. The vet may feel it would be best to see your kitten and check for a possible infection in the neutering wound.

Has your kitten had his post-op checkup by the vet yet?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice