Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Change in routine

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kakite, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

Hi all.

I’ll be changing jobs in about 3-4 weeks. Currently I work five days a week and I go home four days a week for lunch and one day my husband is home with Nova. The other days I’m out between 8am and 2pm
    and home for 45min for lunch. Also husband pops in during the day so she is never alone for long, maybe 2-3 hours at the most. The other idea would be to work 2 full days - one day she would go to daycare and one day be with hubby and then work two days from 8am-12pm and then I’d be home with her. I just can’t decide.

In general I’m not comfortable leaving her more than 5 hours during the day.

for my new job I can choose my hours and it’s 24 hours a week and I can work it between 3,4 or 5 days. Ideally I want to work three full days and then I would have two days off during the week as well as the weekends.

One day my husband would be with Nova, one day I could afford dog day care (I know everyone has a different take on this but I have a day care I can trust with not many dogs being in their care and Nova is familiar and comfortable with the environment) and the third day I would probably only be able to pop home for lunch and my husband would be home for at least 2-3 hours during the day while I’m out too. Does that sound reasonable in terms of leaving her “alone” for that day?

The other idea would be to work 2x full days (one day she would go to daycare and one day be with hubby) and two half days (8am-12pm) which she is fine to stay by herself and I would be home with her then and I would still have one day off during the week. I really want to consider Nova first because it doesn’t really matter too much to me what my preferences are.

Thank you for input.

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I would opt for three full days personally just because I feel like for my dogs, once they're alone it doesn't really make much difference how long it is (within reason) and if you work 3 full days its only one alone time, rather than two alone times. And I would feel like a full day is more quality time than two half days. If your husband is with her for a couple of hours do you really need to go home at lunch too? I think sometimes too much coming and going actually disturbs them more than just letting them sleep for a longer period.

Kakite and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I would probably opt for 3 whole days as well. Then she will have you at home for two lovely days. It doesn’t sound as though she is being left to much especially if one day is day care.

Kakite likes this.
  4. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

Thank you for your input. I might try the three full days and might be able to tweak it if it doesn’t work well. It’ll be wonderful to have two extra days a week going on adventures with her.

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

It sounds like she has a good mix lucky dog !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice