Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Change in mood and incontinence

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by dukey, Aug 23, 2013.

1. dukey

dukey PetForums Senior

Hi everyone

We've had Daisy since October last year. My ex partner found her living rough and so we took her in. She had 2 weeks in quarantine etc so she could be tested for any illness and we had her jabs done.

Shes been good as gold ever since. Shes a happy and friendly cat and we've had no problems. She always uses her litter tray, eats her food etc.

However, a few days ago she started growling an awful lot. She will hiss at either people or my other cat Duke and she actually attacked my friend on Sunday leaving a lot of cuts up his arm.

She is eating but she doesnt have a normal appetite. She seems to want to hide a lot of the time, under the bed, under the table etc.

My main concern is her toilet habits. She has never been to the toilet outside of her tray before. But now she will literally be walking along and both pee and poop will sort of fall out of her. Its like shes got no control over it. The poop is sometimes diarrhea but most of the time it is a normal, solid poop. Shes always gone for big pees and this is the same with what shes doing now.

I did take her to the vets on Wednesday. They couldnt find anything wrong but I am taking her back this afternoon. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or experience of this because its making her miserable and I'd hate to think of her being uncomfortable.

We are unsure of her exact age but believe her to be around 1. We did book her in for neutering a while ago but when they went to do it she had a scar that looked as though she had already been done.

Thank you

2. LDK1

LDK1 PetForums VIP

I can't help, but I am bumping this for you as the bolded bit particularly concerns me. One thing's for sure, something is wrong.

Maybe someone can make some suggestions?

3. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Is it possible that she has had a fall or a back or pelvic injury which has affected the nerves in her spine?

Hiding and growling, attacking indicates that she is in pain and the incontinence might be caused by loss of sensation due to an injury. If she is an outdoor cat she may have been hurt while out, airgun pellets, fall, kicked hard.

I would be back at the vets, she must be in a lot of pain.

4. Edi

Edi PetForums Newbie

Hi there,
    I hope I am wrong, but it sounds like a spine injury. Our friends had a kitty whose spine segments were dislocated - he was run by a car. He couldn't feel anything from the waist down. But you are saying that your cat is walking around, so I suppose it isn't that bad. Be careful if you must lift her - do not twist her. It's best to bring her to the vet and get her checked. Give her some space if she wants to be left alone. Some cats prefer solitude when they don't feel well.
    I hope she gets better soon!

5. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

so sorrt but i agree with the other posters on this , i think she needs a second opinion on this, xray by a well established experienced vet, she should not be having this problem at one year old,cats are very good at hiding their pain, i wouldnt rest until i got some answers, good luck and best wishes for your cat

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice