Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Change in kibble size, same brand but now has diarrhoea?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Danny Smith, May 22, 2019.

1. Danny Smith

Danny Smith PetForums Newbie

We have a 6 month old Great Dane, we went to get his normal bag of food, wainwright’s puppy large breed, but mistakenly picked up the same food but not large breed, some has told me it’s only kibble size that is different but the last two days has had bad diarrhoea, is there something different that could be causing it?

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

It may well be different - I think I remember @O2.0 posting about something - maybe lower calcium levels as you don't want skeletal growth to be too fast in giant breed puppies? Someone please correct me if I got the detail wrong but I do know puppy food for giant breeds is different.

O2.0, lullabydream and Danny Smith like this.
  3. Danny Smith

Danny Smith PetForums Newbie

Thank you, the only reason I wondered is because it’s still gives you an amount for giant breeds in the back, he’s suffered with sensitive stomach since we’ve had him, giving him all kinds of foods, but this brand worked out for him and now it’s gone back to the diarrhoea

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Yep calcium phosphorus levels are all important in growing dogs. They will differ for large breed too.

As it's pets at home you can take it back and change it quite happily for what you want so that shouldn't be a problem.

I would keep an eye on his stools, it may be the sudden change of the food or it could be something else entirely. Just a coincidence it happened when you changed food. If it persists then take him to the vet.

To help settle his stomach you can feed a bland diet; which is chicken, white fish, rice, potato, scrambled egg. Depends what you have in, available to you just to help his stomach settle.

JoanneF likes this.
  5. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

There is slight difference in the recipe large breed has 30%meatmeal and 16%barley the ordinary puppy has 33%meatmeal and 15% barley

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I would take it back and explain, get what you usually have. Pets at Home have a brilliant returns policy.

My son and I feed our dogs Eden kibble. The working variety. There was a supply problem and we bought the non working. Identical ingredients list. Analysis - 1% less protein and oil. Should have made no difference (we thought). Both dogs were loose on it. Fine back on the working.

7. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Are you measuring the kibble with a scale if not for example you are using a cup you may be feeding more weight if the ordinary kibble than the large breed

Danny Smith likes this.
  8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

The Great Dane still needs to be on a large breed puppy food; regardless about whether they have over fed what they accidently picked up. It's essential and specific for growth of the puppy.

Danny Smith likes this.
  9. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I was just saying maybe he was having more food than he is used to and perhaps that's why he has an upset tum:)

Torin. and lullabydream like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice