Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Change in cats behaviour re food

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by lisab345, Apr 20, 2011.

1. lisab345

lisab345 PetForums Junior

Hi

My cat Gizmo will be two in July. My partner and I have recently split up and since then his behaviour has changed. He is constantly looking for food. He has recently been wormed so that is not the problem. I have another cat and he pushes her out the way. He has stared raking the bin if he gets the chance. He wakes me up at 5 am to be fed so I have started putting him outside if he does that but he screams constantly at the door. I do not know what to do. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing?

2. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Firstly ... sorry about the split xx

Could it be that your cat is just feeling a change in circumstances and is trying to tell you in the only way he can? It's amazing what they pick up on. I know Molly hates change! We just have to move something in the flat and you can tell she isnt happy!

Not very helpful, but just a thought :)

Molly also makes a right fuss when my OH goes out anyway and leaves me alone with her!! She acts like a complete loon demolishing everything in her path :)

#2 Jenny1966, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I think he is probably missing your ex :( Cats are very sensitive - mine isn't happy if I'm at work in the evenings and will only settle on my DH's lap when I get home.
    I'd recommend trying a Feliway plug-in and see if that helps. Food could just have become a substitute :(

4. love&dlight

love&dlight PetForums Junior

I know its not the same but my dog plays up when my hubby leaves for work. He works away so will be gone for 2 weeks at a time. She makes more fuss then the kids crying to be let out at night ripping stuff up. I found she calms down in the end.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice