Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Change in behaviour since sleeping upstairs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by karenmc, Mar 10, 2021.

1. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

Hi Everyone,
    Hope you and your lovely dogs are all well. As you know, a few weeks ago we started letting Luna choose where she wanted to sleep at night. She had always slept well in her crate but had a couple of unexpected unsettled nights which prompted us to try this. Luna absolutely loves sleeping upstairs and has been so good. I worried that she would mither our children at night but after popping in for a cuddle and some fuss, she settles on her bed next to our bed. I now have snoring on each side with her and my husband!! Luna does wake at around 3:30am and has a quick wander but settles back to sleep quickly.
    Since she has been sleeping upstairs, we have noticed she has calmed down a lot. She sleeps or just lies relaxing more in the day. My husband is at home with her in the day and usually she is trying to get him to play, have a 'play fight' or follows him trying to 'help'(!!) with jobs in the day thus hindering him!! He says she still plays etc but she has calmed down a lot and is very settled. Could this be related to being upstairs now or do you think it is just a coincidence and her maturing?

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Oh bless her.

Probably a bit of both to be honest. She does sound rather sensible.

I did smile at the 3:30 wander. Eevee has taken to sleeping with my son but at about 3:30 on the dot she barges back into our room to settle down. I think she thinks if she's not in our room for my OH to get up for work then she won't get breakfast. Of course 3:30 is too early for work

3. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

Oh Eevee is so funny! She knows where she wants to be and is clever to not miss 'toast time' in the morning! I had to laugh out loud as sensible is not a word we have linked with Luna! Giddy as a box of frogs more so. Lol!! She does seem much calmer though. It is funny at night as for a couple of nights she would automatically head to her crate then when she realised the door was open, she would race up. I always set the crate up still as an option but now she looks at you as if to say 'What are you doing? I'm in with you guys!!' . She has been brilliant at going in her crate for a nap while my husband does the school run and calls in to check on his mum.x

lullabydream and margy like this.
  4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

It’s more likely to be her maturing, it does suddenly seem to happen, or perhaps we just don’t notice it until it’s really obvious.
    Isla normally sleeps downstairs with free range apart from our bedroom, I’m not bothered it she was there or not, but the room isn’t that big and there’s no room really for her bed so that I don’t fall over it on my nocturnal wandering to the loo and back. Ive just bought her a new bed which has a memory foam mattress as I’ve noticed occasionally she seems a little stiff getting up if she been lying in the same position for a long time. She’ll be 8 in May. Her old bed is upstairs now on the landing. She’s not convinced about this nice new comfy bed, she starts off in it then comes up to her old bed.:rolleyes:

karenmc likes this.
  5. puppymadness

puppymadness PetForums Senior

I would think she is matured. Our Luna has free range of the house and has for about a year (she is 2 next week). She now sleeps at night in a spare room and in the day takes herself upstairs for an afternoon nap. Think as she has matured she has also gained confidence :)

6. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Gwylim often potters around the house in the middle of the night and both he and Grisha "talk" in their sleep.

karenmc likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice