Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Change Food??

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Rini, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Rini

Rini PetForums Senior

I changed Lexi over to Acana when she was able after I got her as she was on pedigree from the breeder. But I've discovered that she isn't chewing the acana just swallowing it. The acana is VERY hard and (although I aint going to try) I think I would have trouble biting through it. I dont know whether she doesn't chew it because she physically can't or because she can't as she still have the majority of her baby teeth used to chew and therefore she would chew as her adult teeth come through.

She has VERY occasionally, twice thrown up and it's just been a small amount and the pieces of acana have come up whole. Now I've owned her for 5 months-ish and she has only ever done this twice and I'm not sure whether it is just because she has ran around or got herself all bothered too soon after eating in one of her mad runs around the house or something.

But I don't know whether I should change her to something else. She seems to have a delicate throat and does cough at times (when drinking or pulling on lead). She does now occasionally have some naturediet trays that she gets for one meal a day every so often. Which she loves but I think it would be too expensive to order the trays in for every meal... :/

I really wanna keep her on acana and just give wet food as a little treat to keep her interested but I really don't know what to do. Perhaps she will get better at it with age or is it REALLY unhealthy for dogs to swallow it whole?

Her stools at home or healthy enough if a little harder since she fully moved onto dry food rather than pedigree wet pouches, but they are different when she is out on a walk (weird!) so I don't think it is bothering her digestive system.

Well REALLY sorry for the large rant but any advice would be welcome.
    Thanks for reading!

2. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Have you tried adding some warm water to the Acana? Or how about mixing in some Naturediet with it?

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

The vast majority of dogs don't chew dry food and suffer little ill effect.

A dogs stomach is more than capable of breaking down kibble pieces.

What breed is she? Some are prone to a collapsing trachea.

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Kibbles vary a lot, some not as hard as others. Agreed Acana is v hard but also v good.

I'm not a great kibble fan. My dog struggles with it and it's much harder to digest than wet. That said, most dogs dont have a problem.

What about making the Naturediet to a gruel with water and then mixing in the Acana. That way she gets both with plenty of water to help the acana down!!

The Champion website is good and I'm sure if you email them with any queries, they will be able to put your mind at rest.:D:D

5. Rini

Rini PetForums Senior

Thanks for the advice. I dont think she has a collapsed trachea (at least I hope not as I don't know how you could tell) as she walks fine and is on a harness so she's never been pulled on her collar or anything like that while she's been walking.

She's mainly a shih tzu / yorkshire terrier but she has jack russell and chihuahua in her lines, far back into them anyways! She's a little mongrel XD she could have anything in her! XD haha

I suppose she is digesting it fine as I have said her stools are... normal for the most part. When she is outside for some reason it is softer and lighter but inside it is perfectly normal. Might just be cause she's been running around outside or she's more in a rush to do it as she's more self-conscious outside. God knows. I don't know if this is normal behaviour for puppies.

I wonder if the vet could check her neck to see if she thinks it's damaged or not. Might ask when I take her for her next worm/flea!

Oh and I couldn't mix the two as even when I was first swapping her to acana from pedigree she would never eat 2 different foods together, she would pick all the acana out and leave the pedigree and if she's having naturediet she will drop all the acana on the carpet as naturediet is her yummy treat XD lol but she still loves acana and enjoys eating it and waits for her breakie in the morning eagerly.

I am however naughty with the acana and leave it down if she doesnt finish it as with dry she never finishes it in one go (where as the naturediet she wolfs down in about 5 seconds!) but I'd rather do this and let her have her daily amount than just give her 20 minutes to eat as much of it as she can. Seems healthier that she doesn't swallow too much at one time especially as she is seemingly eating it whole!

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I'd walk her on a harness in that case, unless you already do so.

All those breeds are prone to the condition.

7. Rini

Rini PetForums Senior

Oh no as already mentioned I've never walked her on her collar and have a harness! I could never walk her on her collar not even outside in the yard for peeing times as a slight tug would cause her to choke.

She definitely has a delicate throat but I don't believe it has been damaged as I've never given her the chance to damage it! Lol

I was just looking into more dry food and applaws does a puppy chicken one which I'm wondering what people think about and whether anyone knows if this puppy dry food is any softer and more easily chewed compared to acana!?

8. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Dogs generally only chew something that is too big to swallow whole, so it's very mormal for kibble to be 'hoovered' up ;)
    Kiva chews off great lumps of chicken bone and swallows them, they digest just fine so kibble shouldn't cause any problems :D

9. Rini

Rini PetForums Senior

That's really great to hear ^.^ She must have just upset her stomach getting too excited/running too soon after eating. I know she sometimes retches if I am drying her with the towel vigorously and she gets too worked up!

Thanks for all the advice it's reassured me! :)

10. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Kiva has done that a few times ;) I think a lot of it with her is because she has just hoovered it up it hasn't gone down properly, so she brings it back up and has another go, yummy! Ha ha
    She does it loads with treats when we are out too! I throw one, she catches it and a minutes later coughs and out it comes! To be re-eaten and swallowed instead of inhaled :rolleyes:

11. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

...also, my dog who is also small does a strange backwards sneeze thing which sounds a little like choking or retching.

The vets, and the people at dog training have assured us it's nothing sinister and is apparently like dog hiccups, but it often happens when Ringo is excited, so yours could be something like that?

Naomi x

12. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

My dog just swallows his kibble and it doesn't seem to have any negative effect. If you leave kibble to soak in warm water for a few minutes it goes soft & swells so could do that instead of switching.

13. Rini

Rini PetForums Senior

I think someone has done a test like that on acana and found out that it doesnt swell like other kibble which makes it good as it wouldnt swell in your dogs stomach.

It's looks likely that she just worked herself up too soon after eating. When she gets over excited playing, she snorts like a pig XD

Lol when she has brought something back up she has tried to eat it again but we cleaned it up before she could! XD lol not something I would have wanted to watch!! XD

14. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

I think you are talking about reverse sneezing, frightening to see but not a danger. Reverse Sneeze - YouTube I find covering Nelson's nose for a short time helps him stop if he starts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice