Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Chance - pin removed!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Chance, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

She's been back under the knife today and the vet has removed the rod. He was initially concerned by her apparent lack of use and amount of 'hopping'.

He gave Three possible reasons:

1 - The bone has broken again.
    2 - Infection in the break.
    3 - The rod has twisted and causing discomfort.

We've just been to get her and had some good news - It was the third option! He figured the end of the rod was pushing against the inside of her skin and causing discomfort.

We now have to return to stage one with limited mobility, as without the rod she could easily break the bone again. She is now sat in her bed looking very docile and sleepy.

2. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

aww bless her, i hope everything gets better for her

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thats great news!

Are you going to hydrotherapy with her?

4. rona

rona Guest

Hooray!!!!!!!!!! :d:d:d

5. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

We haven't done yet but hope to do so as soon as the stitches have been removed.

Even though she is only moving around the house she is already placing a bit more weight on the leg. Clearly the pin was quite uncomfortable, and the fact it isn't rubbing any more says we may be half way to resolving the hopping problem.

6. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

Oh, and she has definitely NOT lost her appetite through all this. The day she broke her leg (8 weeks ago) they weighed her at 16.3kg. She was very fit and active and I think I'd posted before that I was always slightly worried about her inability to put weight on.

However, she stepped up to the scales today and they showed a whopping 18KG!!!!

We are considering changing her name from Chance to Chunky! I'm sure she'll loose it all when she starts moving again properly, although we are going to reduce the treats we've been spoiling her with over the last couple of months.

7. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

I hope she feels better soon! :D

8. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

I can't believe her progress in less than 24 hours. Ok, so she is clearly still limping but we have gone from zero use, to about 50% in less than a day.

I now feel bad for opting to leave the pin in so long. We were guided by the vet and given a two week window - we choose the end of that time as we thought that would give the bone to most time to heal!!!

Poor Chancey eh!?!

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

In the long term, you have probably done whats best for her.

She'll soon build up muscle, and get her range of motion back.

10. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

Thanks Nonnie - I know you're right and if we had opted to have it removed early then she had a problem I would blame myself again!

She's now asleep and obviously dreaming of a great run. as her paws are going ten to the dozen....!

11. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Awww poor thing, it must be a really frustrating time for all of you, lets hope chance will be better asap.:(

12. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

What a TROOPER she is, she has gone through soooo much but thankfully just keeps bouncing back:) :eek:hmy: she amazes me more with ever post you put on.

Just keep it up chance, your a star!:)

13. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

Very - I'd like to say "Nail and head" and that you hit it perfectly bichonsrus!

However, she is improving and already weightbearing more than before.

She has also developed a really annoying wine and wimper when my OH leaves the room! Prior to all the extra attention she didn't really bother about anyone but now she's almost inconsolable when someone leaves her!!!

When will she chill out and accept that people come and people go!?!?!?

14. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Good news about Chance! The pin out and putting weight on the leg, on the road to recovery....

*Heidi*

15. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

I just came home from work and same my OH walking her. I was truly amazed when I saw them walking down the road as she barely looked like she was limping!

16. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Oh wow that is great news!! You must be over the moon.:D

17. curluscat

curluscat PetForums Junior

Just caught up with the latest on Chance, very pleased it was nothing more serious that the rod causing discomfort. It's a shame you're all back to the really restricted exercise but as you know it soon passes. (Dolly is now on 3x20 minute walks per day).

What a star Chance is!

Dolly's mum

18. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

im so glad to hear Chance is getting better xx shes been through so much:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice