UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Still missing my boys
42,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please please can you keep an eye open for Chalara dieback on Ash trees in your area and report immediately. Email addresses on this website.

Have a look at the video to know what you are looking for.

Forestry Commission - Pests and diseases - Ash dieback (Chalara fraxinea)

This could wipe out our Ash trees, it is as dangerous as Dutch Elm disease was :(
It's already decimated the Ash in Europe :(

Look around when you are out, and imagine us without our Ash trees :cryin: :cryin:

It seems to be everywhere already :(

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Please please can you keep an eye open for Chalara dieback on Ash trees in your area and report immediately. Email addresses on this website.

Have a look at the video to know what you are looking for.

Forestry Commission - Pests and diseases - Ash dieback (Chalara fraxinea)

This could wipe out our Ash trees, it is as dangerous as Ditch Elm disease was :(
It's already decimated the Ash in Europe :(

Look around when you are out, and imagine us without our Ash trees :cryin: :cryin:

It seems to be everywhere already :(
Heard this on the news lunchtime and that they are also asking people using known areas to take precautions after walking to help stop the spread on cars and shoes etc.

Walkers in the Yorkshire Dales are being asked to take precautions to prevent the spread of a disease that is threatening millions of ash trees.

Officials at the national park authority are asking people to the area to clean their boots, bike tyres, cars and dogs after visiting in the area

BBC News - Ash dieback disease: Walkers urged to help prevent spread

Although the link relates to one specific known area thats affected it could equally apply to any I would have thought, think the news was reffering to these pracautions in general.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Heard this on the news lunchtime and that they are also asking people using known areas to take precautions after walking to help stop the spread on cars and shoes etc.

Walkers in the Yorkshire Dales are being asked to take precautions to prevent the spread of a disease that is threatening millions of ash trees.

Officials at the national park authority are asking people to the area to clean their boots, bike tyres, cars and dogs after visiting in the area

BBC News - Ash dieback disease: Walkers urged to help prevent spread

Although the link relates to one specific known area thats affected it could equally apply to any I would have thought, think the news was reffering to these pracautions in general.
Against an airborne fungus, these measures are not going to work unless the wind stops blowing. The spores will also be spread by deer, and birds too. Are they supposed to wash their hooves and wings?
It's a ruse to make us think there's something we can do; whereas there isn't.

·
Super Moderator
29,629 Posts
This really is worrying me, there's a lot of ash round where I live & we have an 8ft 'rescue' ash that was brought from a building site so it didn't die, we've been nurturing it for about 5 years now:(

·
Super Moderator
29,629 Posts
It's all around us :( checked my little ash tree today & she seems to be OK, but it looks like just a matter of time before it reaches us unless they come up with something.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
What makes me cross about ash dieback is that nurseries were sending seeds overseas to be 'grown on'. And they were coming back as infected saplings. To a certain extent it is an airborne fungal pathogen and that being the case it would have most likely reached the UK in any case but I do think the lack of accountability for having planted ash saplings not grown in the UK is quite shameful. Whichever way you look at it it hasn't helped the overall picture. Ash as a species regenerates very freely and grows quickly so I would question what the need was to import saplings from overseas. Grrr sorry but it makes me :mad5: :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.