Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cesar Milan Fails Dog Trainer's Test In Germany

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Snoringbear, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Tails and Trails

can anyone speak german and would be happy to translate?

2. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Not going to be perfect but shouldbe able to get the gist:

Couple of interesting points here.. Lower Saxony actually has different laws regarding dogs to the rest of Germany. The obvious one is that there is no BSL. There are also laws supposedly in place requiring new owners to prove their basic knowledge about dogs and for the pets to pass a behaviour test. This explains the "applies nationwide" comment.

#22 Goblin, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  3. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

The bit in bold is what I thought too, I was also picturing the cutest little black spaniel :001_wub:

I am so glad to hear this about Milan, I've never liked him. My favourite dog trainer is Victoria Stilwell.

4. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

And that right there shows how much of a god complex this man has...stuff science and your rules, I am Ceser Millan so nerrrrrrrrr

:nonod: Quite sad really.

5. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Worse! She’s a little beagle puppy with floppy ears and adorable markings and a beagle puppy bark! :001_wub:

6. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Oh no! :crying:

I so so want a doggy! You've made me broody you!

7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

My favorite part of your translation Goblin, is that he is known as the Hundeflüsterer :D He flusters hounds, that’s for sure! :D

8. leashedForLife

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha! :lol:

thank U, thank U, thank U, SnoringBear! -
    what a fantastic start to my day, love it!
    :thumbup1: :D :p

#28 leashedForLife, Sep 20, 2014
  9. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Terry, I’ve been meaning to ask you, why do you re-write/edit posts that you quote the way you do? With the brackets, parenthesis, dashes and even changing words etc.
    I’ve never seen anyone else on forums do this, and it’s very jarring sometimes and for me it makes the original post much harder to read.
    What gives?

10. leashedForLife

"Google Translate" is free & simple - copy the text in the original language, paste it on one side,
    choose the language it's to be translated INTO, & click; the translation appears on the other side of the page.

It's not perfect & misses idiomatic phrases or slang, often - but for a newspaper article, there's not
    going to be much "street chatter" in the original Deutsch.
    I'll post a translation shortly, if NO ONE ELSE has already done so - haven't read the entire thread. ;)

11. Tails and Trails

Ah - that translation was much better, thanks Goblin.

much better than google translate, which i didnt comprehend any further than the first two sentences which were going on about Cesar Milan failing to get a legal muzzle from Jennifer Aniston and Charlize Theron :incazzato:

12. leashedForLife

Here goes...
    Some public comments:

#32 leashedForLife, Sep 20, 2014
  13. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

Normally square brackets in quotes mean they are words not said by the person who is being quoted. Or to add context which is missing in the quote.

E.g: Jimmy is talking about how much he likes gong to the park, "I love going there I go there every day"

However if you just quoted what Jimmy says it wouldn't make sense, so it would be something like

"I love going [to the park], I go there every day"

However it is a bit of a weird thing to do on a forum and really isn't needed at all.... :rolleyes:

14. ouesi

ouesi Guest

LOL, yes, I know how to use brackets in that sense, I was just wondering why L4L does it.

15. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

Hehe sorry, I reread what you asked and realised I misread :eek:

16. jon bda

jon bda Guest

Cesar...what a...well, use your imagination! :mad: Now...Ms Stilwell...
    :eek:

17. leashedForLife

Mr Millan began his long climb to fame & eventual fortune when he slipped across the Rio Grande
    with a hired "coyote" [paid guide for paperless persons to enter the USA]. He was between 16 & 18.
    He had grown-up in rural Mexico, on a poor rancho; the dogs in the area all ran loose, desex was unknown,
    dogs free-bred, pups grew-up by sheer luck; accidents or illness or malnutrition were just as common
    & random or lethal for human children, as they were for pups.

He attended small elementary & secondary schools; he's presumed to have finished 9th grade, tho it's possible
    he only finished 6th-grade - he's not very forthcoming on the subject. He says his grandfather "taught him
    everything he knows" about dogs, then confuses the issue by saying, "I work on instinct". He says,
    "I learned by watching the dogs." -- OK, how does watching free-roaming semi-feral dogs
    in rural Mexico, prepare U to teach cued behaviors to pet-dogs who live in human homes, in the USA?...
    let alone, "How does that prepare U to deal with complex problem-behaviors such as OCD,
    sep-anxiety, leash reactivity, owner-directed aggression, predatory behavior, & nuisance barking,
    in pet-dogs in USA-homes?"
    -

... none of those would be seen in free-roaming half-tame dogs, other than predation, & as his family
    had some livestock, any dog who tried to stalk or chase or harass stock would be "solved" with a rifle:
    the Triple-S solution, Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up - it's Solved. :rolleyes:

His early jobs were the common classics: construction labor, day-laborer, etc. Then he got a job
    sweeping-up in a dog-grooming salon in L-A; the owners, 2 women, soon found that Mr Millan
    didn't mind being bitten as much as they did, so they had him bathe or brush-out the "difficult" dogs
    [the ones that are scared sh*tless, duck, try to bolt, snap or bite defensively, freeze in panic,
    growl, won't stay in the tub, etc]. Mr Millan would make the dogs behave by shutting them down - IOW,
    intimidate them so intensively that YOU are scarier than the tub, spray-hose, brush, roaring dryer, ____ -
    & they give-up resisting.

His bosses thought this was just fantastic, so when Jedda Smith asked for help with her pitbull, who was
    difficult to handle on leash, they recommended their "difficult dog" bather.
    Ms Smith was so frustrated by Cesar's incomprehensible English, she hired a tutor for him, & paid the tutor
    herself; she was impressed by CM's brisk, no-nonsense handling & control, & referred him to her friends...
    who referred him to their friends.

A couple of years on, he's offering workshops & seminars - a fellow-trainer attended one in 1999.

In 2005, his agent [who first plastered the "dog whisperer" label on him] has a package set up - video,
    photos, cover letter, etc. Mr Millan [per a later lawsuit, settled out of court] allegedly used this promo pack
    to sell himself to Natl-Geo channel, & he began with a 30-minute NON-prime-time slot - 20-mins
    of program time, if U cut out all the commercials - during which he "solved the problems" of 2 or 3 families
    with their dogs. The next season,
    he had a full hour [40-mins on air], typically split between 2 families & their dogs.

His wife designed a control-collar that hides the "choke" function under enclosing nylon webbing.
    [The well-named "Illusion Collar" - it gives the illusion of merely being a double-wide flat collar.
    It's not.]

He now earns megabucks; he's charging $350 / hr for a consult, he charges CEOs as much as the bidding
    will bear - they top one another's offers to get him to come see THEIR dog, not So-&-So's, for a day.
    He's being flown from the NYC airport to the CEO's office building in private 'copters; life is very good.
    He's selling DVDs, books, videos, has a memoir out, goes on tour across the USA & Canada, etc.

Merikans love rags-to-riches stories; Horatio Alger lives! :rolleyes: His very ignorance is, in fact,
    appealing. Audiences LIKE his awkward phrases, so long as his accent isn't too obvious - just a touch
    of the exotic is good, but not too much, ya know?

Years before, his wife threatened to divorce & leave him, if he didn't stop being so insufferably macho.

He doesn't sell well in Seattle, WA; he's booed on stage in Canada when he makes misogynist remarks,
    & patronizes female handlers / owners.

His wife finally divorces him, but they continue to work together - she now runs his Foundation,
    a registered non-profit that tries to make his heavy-handed traditional training acceptable to modern
    owners, & give it an academic gloss.

He goes to Europe - the UK isn't very enthused, & he waters-down his usual methods & tools to try
    to become more acceptable. Portugal bans his TV-show. Sweden does, too. Spain - another macho country -
    is more receptive.

After 3 seasons, he decides to move from West-LA to the suburbs - basically, out of a warehouse in
    a run-down, mixed-industrial neighborhood, decorated with graffiti, to a chunk of acreage. After all,
    he's now worth millions. :bored: He gives the owners of the dozens of dogs in his resident "pack", 60-days
    notice to pick up their dog
    - as he's moving. Most of these dogs are dog-reactive or aggressive;
    they've been warehoused - no B-Mod has been done, they get up to 12-hrs of exercise every day,
    but they've had zero re-training to alter their reaction to other dogs. Needless to say, the various
    organizations that have housed dogs with him, paying daily boarding, have no place to suddenly put
    these dogs; they're just as problematic as they were, on arrival.
    This doesn't win him any friends.

He evicts his boarders; he buys his acreage; they design & build a house & kennels. He's no longer doing
    ANY personal training, except on camera for the TV-show, for any price.

During his 100th TV-episode, an off-camera crew-member reveals that HIS dog, a white GSD-x,
    is the dog-aggro stooge that they use off-camera to wind-up the episode's current "guest dog", before
    filming begins; his dog was adopted from a shelter, with a known dog-aggro problem. [Most shelters would
    repossess a dog who was being deliberately exacerbated in this fashion, if they knew about it.] There had
    been a lot of speculation about agitating the dogs, for years - now we knew it was true.

After 5 seasons? [i think], Natl-Geo channel bumps him onto their secondary channel, "Wild".
    His ratings are falling. He's not an automatic draw; he's been inducted as an honorary member by IADP
    [Intl Assoc Of Dog Professionals] in the USA - notably, a clause in IADP's members rules BANS all members
    from supporting or promoting limits or bans on any "accepted training tools" - choke-chain, prong collar,
    shock-collar, Scat-mat, wireless fence, etc; IOW, U can't be a member of the IACP & tell people that prong
    collars are unnecessary, or sign a petition to ban the sale of shock-collars direct to the general public.

He has lost much of his lustre; the novelty has worn off, he's not as appealing.
    A divorced middle-aged man with a thickening waist isn't as photogenic as a younger man - TV is pitiless.
    Hi-def TV is even more so. Unfortunately, he came along at just the right moment to derail the gains
    being made in the USA by non-aversive humane training; the timing couldn't have been worse.

Reward-based training had finally gone mainstream, & then CM/DW caught the public fancy,
    & all the momentum was lost. :nonod: I was personally so upset & discouraged.
    It was devastating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice