Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cesar Milan-Debate continues

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nina, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

1 person likes this.
  2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Is that a wolf mix? Or one of the inuit or whatever breeds. Has he even got a choke on the dog is it not just the end of the lead? He did well to get it down like that even if we probably didn't see some of it. I'm not a fan of the man don't like most of his methods but some of the dogs he works with well he seems to work miracles with dogs that otherwise would be put down.

#2 Nicky09, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  3. ColliePower

ColliePower PetForums Senior

I know ALOT of ppl dislike cesar and his methods, as many ppl have different opinions of dog trainers and there methods, be it TV dog trainers or not.

I personally agree with alot of his methods, however I used a check chain on my lurcher cross for the first 2 yrs of his training. As instructed by the behaviourist, and now Tyler has been sadly left with damage to his throat and coughs when put under stress or excited so now I can only put him on a harness, I believe this is down to the chain and now would never use one on my dogs.

Halti's have been a godsend for me personally, and I know the choke or check chains should be used to "correct" and when used properly should no choke or hard the animal, that is not the idea of it, and i certainly was told I was using it properly yet the damage to tylers throat remains and after many yrs of consulting with the vets, and no remedy I wouldnt risk using one again.

But back to the Cesar topic, I generally like his methods but would never truly follow one certain dog trainers ways I would always try several methods and what works for me and assists me in training my dogs, then I use that

4. Nicci

Nicci Guest

He'd have probably done much better keeping the dog on a shorter lead, possibly with a head halti, there was no need to resort to the measures he had to gain control of the dog in my opinion he was just using the wrong equipment.

5. danielled

danielled Guest

There is a warning not to use his techniques without consulting a professional. I agre with his techniques but don't use them. I'm a massive Cesar Millan fan. I've been bullied and attacked for likeing him on this site but lets not go into that please. I just want a healthy friendly debate.
    Danielle.

6. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Had he used a shorter lead he would have undoubtedly been bitten (in my opinion).

Also agree with Danielle regarding consulting a professional before using any TV techniques.

Danielle, there is NO place for bullies on this forum. If people want to disagree of course it is there prerogative, but healthy debate makes for a good forum.

#6 Nina, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  7. Marlon

Marlon PetForums Newbie

dis guy deals wid silly dog let him cum to my area and try n tame dogs hell get his arm ripped off

good program doe

8. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Doubtful if he's as good as he proffesses to be ;)

9. ColliePower

Too true, Ive read alot of debates on here ppl hate him and so on and I agree the debate should remain friendly if poss.

You should not try any methods you see on tv without consulting your own behaviourist no matter what.

When it comes to breeding/dog trainers/dog food/everything everyone has the own opinion and theres always ppl out there who think they are right, but ppl have to realise they're entitled to there opinion as is everyone else, so theres never any need for bullying/nastyness simply because you dont agree, its whatever works for the owner and there dog I think

:p:001_tt2:

10. danielled

danielled Guest

Oh no he won't. Ok he has been bitten but he still manages to calm dogs down. I'm a huge fan of his and Daddy and Junior are so cute.

11. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

As most on here know i'm a great fan of cesar and i know he's not popular with some people, but i respect they are entitled to their oppions as we are.:D:D
    As for the video clip well i'd hate to have been in his shoes and i didn't see him being cruel.but perhaps thats because he can't do any wrong in my eyes.;):D:D:D

12. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Did you see that episode Nicci, his jumper was ripped to shreads as it was :D

13. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

AND SO SAY ALL OF US :D

14. ColliePower

and he is yummy :wink5::001_tt2:

15. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

He's been bitten quite a few times by dogs

16. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

this dog started off after cesar gave him a little tip in his behind..... now we dont know this dogs problem nor history. is it a dog with anxiety or a nervouss aggression? Then tipping it on its behind in an already nervous situation results in makeing the dog even more nervous and anxious resulting in cesar being bitten. He as an expert should have known better in this situation.

Also that 1 minute 50 took probably something like half an hour or even longer behind the scenes, the dog lying on the floor looks very much nearly strungled and trying to gasp some air....again he probebly was hanging the dog longer than this 1 minute 50 shown here.

17. Nicci

Nicci Guest

We had an American Bulldog with aggression problems she behaved just like that on a lead wasn't nothing that couldn't be sorted out by a man called Les Price he didn't resort to using a choke chain on her (not that I really have an opinion on them) he just used a head halti and a shorter lead very effectively :)

18. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Might just be me but i just hated watching that! You can clearly see the dog gasping for a breath!
    Seems the higher Cesar pulled the lead up the more angry the dog was getting! Mind you if i had that round my neck strangling me i would lash out too!
    I hate choke chains!!!

19. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I felt uncomfortable watching that too, but I guess he had to do what he had to do to prevent injury :(

20. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

choke chain can be very usefull if used correctly by the right people....ur meant to check and release and NOT hang the dog .....

1 person likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice