Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cerebella Hypoplasia

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by CatCrazy, Jun 18, 2010.

1. CatCrazy

CatCrazy PetForums Junior

Hi, one of my cats had kittens and one was very small compared to the rest, so we decided to hand feed him, yesturday (he is now 8 weeks old and still very small) he went all floppy and fighting and crying when we picked him up so we took him straight to the vets who kept him over night and said he has cerebella hypoplasia and had caught a virus but has had antibiotics for that. They said to us it is very hard to raise a cat with CH and will probably need to get him put down in the future as he is not eating by himself yet, however my mums friend said she had a cat with the same illness and she taught him to eat and walk properly and we looked at youtube videos of adult cats with the disease, my kitten can walk he just looks a bit like bambi at the minute and im sure if we are persistent he will eat by himself. Is it the right thing to do to keep him alive? he does have a good quality of life, he loves to play with the other cats and dogs and he loves cuddles. Could anyone give me info on this disease and any tips and advice for feeding and helping him walk??
    Thankyou Abi x

(sorry for the big rant im just very torn)

2. Emma32

Emma32 PetForums Member

I'm sorry to hear of your worry.
    A friend of mine had a cat with CH, and they got him eating and walking.
    Obviously CH kittens/cats will need a lot more time than a cat without.
    Personally, I don't think you should have him pts, as like you said, he has a great quality of life, and I'm sure you will love him dearly.
    I've never had a cat with it myself, so I can't advise you on anything relating to it, but I found this site, which looks fantastic, and has links to other places too.
    Cerebellar Hypoplasia
    I hope it helps you, keep us updated, I would love to hear any progress ^.^

3. CatCrazy

Thankyou for the reply, that website looks great! Really useful!
    I am very determined now to make sure he stays alive I have been looking on youtube and their are cats with a much worse case than mine, some cant even stand up, poor things! You are right we do love him dearly, he is like our little baby because we have hand reared him!

4. Emma32

Emma32 PetForums Member

I'm glad I could offer some help!
    My friends cat was perfectly fine, he lived a wonderful life. What killed him? Old age! He lived till he was 16.
    Do you have any pictures of the cutie for us?

5. CatCrazy

Awww, thats great! Yeah i have some on my camera im just trying to find my card reader!

6. KathyM

KathyM PetForums Senior

We have been reading up on CH as we thought Molly might have a very very mild case. There is a Yahoo Group called CH Kitty Club - this is the link:

chkittyclub : bringing together people who live with cats that have cerebellar hypoplasia. we love these sweet kitties!!!!!

It's not a very busy group but all the people there have cats with serious cases of CH. I don't think it has to be a case of PTS having read their stories, although I understand that is a completely subjective and personal decision to make and wish you all the best whatever you decide.

7. Emma32

Emma32 PetForums Member

Ooh I'm waiting with baited breath :p
    Bet he/she is adorable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice