Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Celia Hammond Cat Sanctuary - Fox Hunting Incident

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by oliviarussian, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

If they were your dogs, or mine, I guess some sort of action would be taken.

Boxerluver30 likes this.
  2. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

I'd imagine if anyone of us allowed our dogs to do this then someone would be on the phone to the police saying theres a dog dangerously out of control and we would get charged under the DDA. Unfortunately the hunt lot are exempt from the DDA so they are allowed to let their foxhounds cause havoc. I'm so glad I haven't come across them yet, I would be a bit scared if I saw a massive pack of dogs out of control (lets be honest the hunt don't exactly do much to keep them under control, not from what I've seen anyway)

MrsZee and Calvine like this.
  3. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Hope the rest of the poor cats have turned up now and hopefully none the worse for their ordeal.

I think the police are frightened of the local powers that be (the landed Gentry so to speak) and they don't want to up set their mates do they.

MrsZee likes this.
  4. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

They may have taken to the trees. Our cat was chased up a tree and it was a week before we realised where he was. He came down on his own eventually.

5. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

Please hope the remaining cats come back to them.

6. MrsZee

MrsZee Guest

I thought you can´t hunt with a pack of dogs any more in UK? Surely it is easy to find out whom the dogs belong to and punish the person accordingly? It´s not like you can hide a pack of dogs. Something that should have never happened, poor cats indeed!

noushka05 likes this.
  7. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Fox-hunting is illegal, but it's not enforced particularly well!

noushka05 and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Recent update on twitter is that six cats are still missing, and they are losing hope. So sad.

9. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. PetForums VIP

Fox hunting is illegal in England, Scotland and Wales (The Hunting act 2004 only covers England and Wales and not Scotland and Northern Ireland. Scotland passed it's own law on Fox Hunting) but not well enforced. In Northern Ireland it is still legal so it is not entirely banned in the whole of the UK.

I hope the remaining missing cats are found?

#29 stockwellcat., Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    MrsZee likes this.
  10. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

https://www.league.org.uk/trail-hunting

AFTER THE BAN
    Once the chasing and killing of animals was banned, those hunters who were no longer able to do this could have converted to drag hunting, as most used the same types of hounds, but they chose not to. Instead, they invented an activity called ‘trail hunting’:

TRAIL HUNTING
    • Trail hunting is an entirely new invention which purports to mimic traditional hunting by following an animal-based scent trail (using fox urine, according to the hunters) which has been laid in areas where foxes or hares are likely to be.
    • Crucially, those laying the trail are not meant to tell those controlling the hounds where the scent has been laid, so if the hounds end up following a live animal scent the hunt can claim that they did not know, and so ‘this is why they did not try to stop them’.
    • In drag hunting the trail doesn’t contains animal-based scent, is never laid in areas likely to have foxes, and those controlling the hounds always know where the trail was laid.
    • This is why in drag hunting, 'accidents' when live animals are chased are very rare, while in trail hunting they are very common.

THE CASE AGAINST TRAIL HUNTING
    • Of all those prosecuted for illegal hunting under the Hunting Act, over half claimed to be trail hunting. (Around a quarter of prosecuted hunts claimed to ‘exempt hunting' – see below).
    • If the hunts really wanted to avoid chasing and killing animals, they would have converted to genuine drag hunting or to ‘clean boot’ hunting, which is similar.
    • The hunts operate in exactly the same locations they used prior to the ban – areas which are known to contain foxes (or hares, deer or mink).
    • Trail hunts are always accompanied by ‘terrier men’ – contractors who follow the hunt on quadbikes and with terrier dogs. In traditional hunting these dogs were sent underground to find a fox if it had escaped the hunt by, for example, hiding in a hole underground. Terrier men would place the terrier in the hole to force the fox out so the chase could continue. If trail hunts genuinely don’t try to catch foxes – then why are they always accompanied by terrier men?
    • Trail hunts very rarely even bother laying a trail. Having looked at over 4,000 hunt monitoring reports of over 30 hunt monitors from different organisations covering the majority of hunts in England and Wales (157), since the Hunting Act 2004 was enacted, these hunt monitors have reported witnessing someone laying a possible trail only in an average of around 3% of the occasions they monitored hunts, but they believed that only an average of around 0.04% of the occasions they may have witnessed a genuine trail hunting event, rather than a fake one.
    • So, we think that trail hunting is not a genuine sport but a cover for illegal hunting, designed to deceive the authorities and make the prosecution of illegal hunters very difficult.

kimthecat, MrsZee, picaresque and 3 others like this.
  11. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. PetForums VIP

Here's proof it's still legal in Northern Ireland as campaign groups are trying to get it banned.
    http://www.banbloodsports.com/camp-fh.htm
    https://endfoxhunting.co.uk/thelaw/northern-irish-hunting-laws

Calvine and noushka05 like this.
  12. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Thank you for your interesting and fully explained post. However, I personally prefer mine:

The Case Against Trail Hunting: Trail hunting is a bollocks excuse. [​IMG]

13. MrsZee

MrsZee Guest

I have never even heard trail hunting before. It sounds truly odd, as there is no training involved and I do think you are right about it´s true purpose to use it to for real hunting. People hunt a lot in Finland, but it is always about food they will eat, all need to pass an exam to do it, have a permit etc. Despite hunting being that popular, I have never heard about hunting just for fun of killing or trail hunting.

It is naturally still not good to kill animals even for food, being a vegetarian is a better option. But as they way the world is, making this world a better place for animals will take time, and every step is important. We have managed to abolish traps etc, regulated hunting times and protected species, but it is nowhere near where we need to be. But better than 20 years ago, so that does give hope. And you did manage to stop fox hunting, that was a great achievement, even when some do it secretly.

#33 MrsZee, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2018
  14. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

Belvior hunt chased and killed a fox in melton country park today, a park full of children playing.

15. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

OMG These people are subhuman! Poor fox & poor children. My kids would have been traumatised if they'd witnessed that & they're adults - as would I.

All my respect & gratitude to the brave sabs & hunt monitors who put themselves though such heartache over & over again in their selfless attempts to try to save these poor defenceless creatures.

Zaros, Boxerluver30 and Lurcherlad like this.
  16. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

Omg poor kids having to see that. I would be very upset at seeing that too. Poor fox too :(

noushka05 and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Never has there been a clearer case of Them and Us. :Meh

18. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Latest update
    4F86DF51-93C2-40FB-9142-6F218F244AA6.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice