Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Celebrating the long and happy life of Domino, a wonderful cat.

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Laura_&_Cats, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Laura_&_Cats

Laura_&_Cats PetForums Member

Hi all,

New to PF - I thought of joining for support after losing my boy, but couldn't bring myself to do so until I adopted my two new babies!

This thread is to celebrate the long, happy life of my wonderful boy Domino (Dom for short).

Dom was a rescue cat from the RSPCA in February 2010 at the approximate age of two. He was a 'special needs' cat in many ways - had been taken from his mother too young and then stray at a young age, he played with claws out and was always very nervous of unfamiliar people and other animals. It was just the two of us for nine years, which I am sure was the perfect life for a cat like Dom, but it meant that we had an incredibly close bond. I spent a year working and studying in France and took him with me, so he is one of what I am sure is a small percentage of cats who are bilingual and have lived in two countries! I have also worked from home for the past five years of his life, which suited him perfectly!

Domino was diagnosed with cancer on 12th February, and after discussing with the vet we decided the kindest thing was to put him to sleep. At almost 12, he could quite realistically have spent the rest of his life undergoing painful cancer treatment. It was the first time making that decision for me, and I found it incredibly difficult to say goodbye. The vet was brilliant, and said some really helpful things, but the most helpful was that this was actually the best outcome for Domino, and the only way I could be certain that the end of his life could only hurt me and not him. In the end it was just the two of us, I had him on my lap and he slipped away in his sleep in my arms. The last thing he knew of was me stroking and kissing him, and telling him he had been the best cat. I'm very glad I was strong enough to give him such a nice end to his life. He is a cat that has also left a legacy, as myself and lots of other people who knew him, including his vet, have made donations to the Animal Cancer Trust in his memory.

It is a great comfort to know I always did my best for Dom, even at the end when it was hardest. I will miss him forever, but I know I did the right thing. I was in bits at first and could barely function at home without him, but adopting two 10-month-old siblings has definitely helped with that! I'll post about them next! I have thought for a while I would get two when I lost Dom, for reasons relating to their own welfare and happiness, but also for myself - I thought the bond would be different with two, and probably healthier for me, and I was right. Now I just feel like a cat lady like the rest of you lol, whereas before I felt like a person whose life companion was a cat, and it made losing him so much harder.

Anyway, attached are some photo collages I made of my boy to celebrate his wonderful life. This really helped me while I was grieving, to see all his happy years like that, and I would recommend it to others in a similar situation.

Rest in peace Domino, you were the best cat, and the best friend I could have asked for. ❤️

It's nice to meet you all, and I'll do a happier post next!

Laura x

pixlr_20190222053420343_20190302234255643.jpg pixlr_20190222054506651_20190302234322587.jpg pixlr_20190222055213027_20190302234350409.jpg pixlr_20190222055722820_20190302234412174.jpg pixlr_20190222060304382_20190302234456007.jpg

#1 Laura_&_Cats, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    ChaosCat likes this.
  2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Your Dom was a very special boy. So sorry for your loss.

Laura_&_Cats likes this.
  3. Laura_&_Cats

Laura_&_Cats PetForums Member

Thank you xx

He was such a wonderful cat! <3

ChaosCat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice