UK Pet Forums Forum banner
441 - 460 of 610 Posts
Go on. Be brave. Join the addicts!
I'm just not sure I want the Oriental to teach the Norwegians to talk any more than they already do

I love the Oriental look but I hate Norwegians who's ears are in the Oriental position which is what the extreme type we are starting to see, the Siawegian. I'm not sure I wouldn't get a huge amount of flack if I had an oriental (especially considering there are rumours that Orientals were used to get the ears size and set). That's what's stopping me getting one, that and I am torn with the opposite end of the spectrum, the exotic. I just love their temperaments.

Discussion starter · #451 ·
I'm just not sure I want the Oriental to teach the Norwegians to talk any more than they already do

I love the Oriental look but I hate Norwegians who's ears are in the Oriental position which is what the extreme type we are starting to see, the Siawegian. I'm not sure I wouldn't get a huge amount of flack if I had an oriental (especially considering there are rumours that Orientals were used to get the ears size and set). That's what's stopping me getting one, that and I am torn with the opposite end of the spectrum, the exotic. I just love their temperaments.
As long as you behave yourself so an oriental does not have to nag you, I think their voices are perfectly acceptable. I do not like extreme type of any sort but I would say that very large ears are not really harmful to a cat unless they are positioned coming out of their neck instead of their head. Set too low they pull the eyes straight and then they can be deepset which causes problems.

I think there are far more health risks with exotic type. Are their temperaments very different to other cats? I had an idea they must have British ancestors.

That was meant to be tounge in cheek, Norwegians are supposed to be a soft voiced breed. Mine are very vocal, they like you to know exactly what they are doing. Call you so they can find you quicker, demand that you open the door, and Loki positively shouts at you when your in the shower.

That’s why I do not like the ‘siawegian’ as the ear set pulls there eyes down so they lose the beautiful eye shape and position Norwegians have. They also do tend to be more deep set.

Exotics are at risk of PKD but FIFe require genetic testing (or negative by parentage) of all EXO and GCCF require testing of breeding cats. Carefully bred cats still have decent nostrils but their eyes do always water. They are very playful cats and very kitten like even as adults.

Reactions: BritishBilbo
441 - 460 of 610 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.