Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cavapoo question

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rach110, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Rach110

Rach110 PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Thanks for reading
    I’m interested in getting a Cavapoo puppy which is a cavapoo mum crossed with a cavalier spaniel dad, so 75% cava and 25% poodle. I’m trying to imagine what it will look like when it’s an adult compared to other Cavapoos? Will it still have a curly coat or smooth? It looks smooth at 5 weeks but can change.
    Anyone got one too or adult photos to share?
    Any differences by being more spaniel?
    Many thanks

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Will probably keep straight coat. May not end up looking like other dogs of the same mix as it is a crossbred

Rach110 likes this.
  3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

The problem with crossbreeds is that you could potentially get any mix of outcome in terms of coat. It really just depends on what genes your pup inherits.

Cavaliers have lots of health issues so are your pups parents fully health tested especially for Mitral Valve Disease (MVD), Syringomyelia (SM) and eye conditions?

See here for more details...

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/breed/health.aspx?id=6149

Also many of the poo crosses are puppy farmed dogs so make sure you do your research to be confident your pup isnt from a puppy farm originally.

Looking forward to seeing puppy pictures :)

Rach110 and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

There is no way of knowing what the pup will look like, but please check that the parents have been health tested as mentioned above (actual tests, not just a check at the vets) before buying from the breeder. There are some very serious health conditions that cavaliers are prone to and you want to ensure that you avoid buying a puppy who might suffer these conditions.

Lurcherlad, kittih and margy like this.
  5. Rach110

Rach110 PetForums Newbie

Thanks loads for all your helpful replies

Sairy likes this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I saw a cavapoo the other day that was bigger than a miniature poodle and had a poodle type coat. They are crossbreeds so can end up any shape or size and any sort of coat. If there is something in particular that you like about them is it from the poodle or cav side. Whichever it is why not go for a pure breed if you want to be sure of size and coat.

7. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I have two 'Cavachons' their Mum's were litter mates and Cav x Bichon, Dad was a pure Cavalier, Hector my boy looks very Cavalierish but has a strange wooly coat in places, Hilde my girl has much more of a Bichon face but Cavalier coat, they both have ridiculously hairy feet, they tower over Cavs and Bichons and shed worse than my cats :D

fullsizeoutput_6b6.jpeg

margy, Sairy and picaresque like this.
  8. Rach110

Rach110 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for this and your photo is adorable. It’s the shed I’m concerned about and wondering if a 50/50 cross would be better from an allergy point of view
    Thanks for all your help

9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

A 50 / 50 cross has a 50 /50 chance of shedding. If that's your concern (and it's perfectly valid) you would be better looking at pure bred poodles or similar. And you are more likely to get one in good health as breeders of cross breeds are historically less likely to have done proper testing.

Blitz, simplysardonic, margy and 5 others like this.
  10. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

The only way to gauruntee a pup which doesn't shed is to get a pup with a traceable line of non shedding pedigree parents.

Any pup with a non traceable ancestor in their pedigree or with a known shedding coat may pass on genes for coat shedding.

Any cross breed where one parent is shedding means statistically 50% of pups will be shedders in a litter. In reality all or none or a combination of pups may be shedders. Curly looking coats dont neccesarily mean non shedding. Some poo crosses can have the worst of everything and have shedding curly coats that mat easily and arent easy to groom.

Also bare in mind that allergies can be triggered by fur shedding but can also be caused by saliva. Depending on what allergy people have depends on whether non shedding coats would help.

If this is a deal breaker then best get a pedigree (with demonstrable pedigree) non shedding breed to which the person has spent time with and knows they dont react.

Even if a cavapoo appears initially non shedding as a pup it may have a shedding coat as an adult.

11. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Oh my god mine shed all the live long day, I agree with @JoanneF if it's a shedding issues then look at the pure bred poodle/bichon and other non shedding dogs, if it's allergies related then just because they don't shed doesn't mean they won't trigger your allergy as I don't know if it's the same dogs bit I know with cats it's the saliva that can't trigger the allergy not the fur.

Picklelily, JoanneF, Sairy and 2 others like this.
  12. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Can I be pedantic...

All dogs shed hair, but not all dogs cast.. Which if you have a breed that doesn't shed and you brush fur, fur still is removed.

Yes saliva causes problems in dogs, it's not just the fur.

Picklelily, MontyMaude and kittih like this.
  13. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I had a Labradoodle that was 3/4 Poodle and she had a curly coat that never grew more than a few inches long. Her brother looked like a Standard Poodle with hair that would not look out of place at Crufts

The breeder should be able to tell you what type of coat a pup will grow, otherwise its trial and error.

I have no allergies to dogs, so the coat type wasn't important to me, but health testing was.

14. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

The problem is though that a lot of breeders of poodle crosses will claim that the pups won't shed.

Picklelily, MontyMaude, Blitz and 2 others like this.
  15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Unfortunately a lot of the breeders claim that poodle crosses are non shedding which is total rubbish. If ever a breeder tells you that then walk away as you have no idea what other lies they are telling you.

16. Rach110

Rach110 PetForums Newbie

Thanks all. As you all say non-shedding cannot be guaranteed in any case and you just won’t know for sure til it’s home. Health checks are my main concern.
    How it will look compared to a typical adult Cavapoo given its more spaniel is more out of interest if anyone has had similar?

17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It is unlikely that a cross breed will have health tested parents. Not health checked, that is just the vet giving the pups a quick once over.

18. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I think even if someone had a dog that also has 75% cavalier parentage and 25% poodle parentage there is nothing to say it would look anything like your pup. Genetics doesn't work that way. Just because there is more overall cavalier ancestry than poodle ancestry in the pups heritage doesn't infer that the pup will look more cavalier than poodle for instance. It depends what each particular genetic trait it inherits from each of its parents. In such a litter you could get pups that look (almost) completely poodle to completely cavalier to ones that have random characteristics of both breeds. You have only to look at pictures of a litter of mixed breed pups to see the wide variation in appearance that can occur.

Blitz, MontyMaude and Sairy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice