Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cavapoo hereditary diseases

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Doina Bicu, May 16, 2020.

1. Doina Bicu

Doina Bicu PetForums Newbie

Hello
    We have a lovely 4 months cavapoo. At the moment we bought him we was in a kind of depression, a lot o problems and puppy was the only way to get out of. The problem is we was not very careful with his health history. we love him so much is our baby, we want to make sure he will be fine . The seller showed us just a poodle parent pedigree certificate and a clear hereditary eye condition certificate, nothing more. Now we realized how wrong we were but too late .
    Is any chance to test now our pup and in case is something bad to prevent problems ???
    We’ll appreciate any advice from Cavapoo’s owners and not just.

Thank you

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

To be honest I don't think there is much you can do - the tests are for the parent dogs to ensure they are not carrying certain issues - once puppy is born then he is who he is.

It really isn't worth stressing about now- I'm sure he is lovely. If you only saw the pedigree from the poodle then was the Cavalier already a Cavapoo?

I own Cavaliers and if bred they should be health tested (Mitral Valve Disease, Syringomelia + DNA Testing).

J

niamh123 and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would not worry now you have him. There are a great deal of poodle crosses of all sorts being bred and it will be the very rare parents that have been tested. If the poodle side has an eye certificate that sounds a lot better than some so with luck it is a reasonable breeder. If you were set on that cross you have probably done as well as is possible.

niamh123 and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Doina Bicu

Yes is totally our fault. We saw just his mother which is a 2 year Cavalier, she looks really beautiful (they said she is from pedigree parents as well, but who knows ).Will know for future and sorry we can’t do nothing more at the moment

#4 Doina Bicu, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  5. Doina Bicu

thank you very much for good things, made me feel less horrible and irresponsible. We really hope he’ll grow healthy

Blitz and niamh123 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice