Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cavalier with itchy ears - quick solution needed!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by wilchil64, Apr 24, 2011.

1. wilchil64

wilchil64 PetForums Member

My cavalier bitch has itchy ears. The vet has not been able to diagnose why and prescribed anti biotic drops which didn't really help. Someone on here recommended Quistel ear drops which help for a while.

Unfortunately I have run out and she started scratching again on Good Friday. I have ordered more but obviously due to bank holiday they won't be here til Wednesday at the earliest.

In the meantime she is scratching and yelping because she hurts herself.

Anyone know of anything that will soothe her ears in the meantime that I might have in the house? I have teatree oil, camomile teabags, oats ... a little olive oil and our local Tescos express is open so could buy something there.

Thank you for any tips.

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

You really should not be putting anything in your dogs ears, that isn't designed for the purpose.

Your vet will offer a 24 hour service, call them for advice, it sound as though she is in quite a lot of discomfort :(

3. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I would personally try 'Thornit', it's a godsend for itchy ears and a lot of breeders recommend it. I know a breeder of Cavs that swears by it. I also use it for my two Bichons, it's brilliant stuff. I know it will take a few days to get some but it's well worth the wait. Google it on the internet.:thumbup1:

Sorry I can't think of anything you can use in the meantime unless you know of anybody nearby who has any thornit.

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I think she needs to see a vet again - there's obviously a problem and while you may be able to soothe them, I think a vet needs to get to the bottom of why she is scratching so much. Poor girl, it must be unpleasant for her :(

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I don't think there is much you could use in the meantime to be honest - maybe wipe her ears with a cool, damp cotton wool ball to soothe itching and give them a clean out with some canine ear cleaner. I'd put some socks on her back feet too so her claws don't do too much damage when she is scratching.

After bank hols are out the way and things can be ordered/delievered normally, the Petnat stuff is excellent, they do an itchy ears drop and cleaner.

If she is itching that much though and in obvious discomfort, you'll need to call the emergency vet.

6. gillnhow

gillnhow PetForums Newbie

My poodle always had bouts of canker all the meds i got from the vet only worked as a short term solution.I bought some Thornet and every time a noticed the start i used it,worked like a dream.

7. wilchil64

Thanks for the tips.

She isn't itching all the time, sorry if it sounded that way. But always when she does she hurts herself with her claws. Her ears aren't bleeding but her claws are sharp - not enough walking on hard ground recently, as first she was in season so had nighttime walks then she hurt her leg in the garden, so we took it easy for a few days.

TBH when we went to the vet last time he said there was no infection and it is probably an allergy or problem with what she is eating. We then started finding some good food for her, I know all the good brands without additives, but she wouldn't eat them. The only thing we've found that she will eat is P@H small breed dry food with quarter of a foil tray of Cesar mixed in. I know this isn't ideal but I was really worried about how thin she was getting after not eating for 5 or so days. I know the whole "she will eat if she's hungry" etc ... but she was quite thin when we got her, so didn't want to risk it.

In the meantime Quistel were recommended to us and they do the trick, stop the itching and it hasn't come back for quite a while. It may be due to the warm weather or the fact that I bathed her because she'd been in season.

I know now to always have some Quistel in the house! I might try Thornit too as have read many good things about it.

In the meantime I guess I'll be at the vets tomorrow but seems a waste of time and money as the drops he gave last time (told me they would definitely help as they were anti biotics) didn't solve the problem.

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

When McKenzie had an ear infection she was put on drops for the vet, but when we went back the next week they said to give them for another 5 days. Maybe it was just that the drops needed longer to do their thing? Just a thought.

9. wilchil64

Hmmm possible, we used them til they were all gone, because they weren't clearing up the infection within the 7 days he told us to use them. After that I tried Quistel which did the trick.

I've been looking up food allergies and wondering if maybe we can go down that route now we've had her a while and she's not so thin.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has attempted to find out what their dog may be allergic to and found a food that doesn't aggravate their skin etc. I should probably start a new thread ...

Raw food is not an option for us really. Unless it doesn't involve filling my tiny freezer and tiny fridge with lots of frozen or fresh meat .... I have no storage! Please don't suggest a new freezer - I can't afford one and definitely have nowhere to put one!

10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Well if you used the whole bottle then it probably wasn't what I suggested :) Sounds like it's really been dragging on, poor thing.

I don't really know much about allergies, but looking at the ingredients in the Cesar there's lots there that could potentially cause problems. The dry food isn't great, but if you were going to look at allergies I'd get rid of the Cesar first. My fussy dog eats Naturediet and seems to enjoy it better if I heat it up a tiny bit for her.

11. wilchil64

Is Naturediet low on allergens? I tried either Naturediet or Nature's Best (?) originally and she wouldn't eat it, but I didn't try heating it up.

It's not been dragging on for a long time, as the Quistel stopped the itching. We've had her since last August and went straight to the vets with her when we realised she was itchy. Before that she was fed pedigree Chum. I knew that was rubbish food and swapped her gradually to James Wellbeloved which she wouldn't eat. We then tried other low allergen foods but ended up with P@H's own small breed food with Cesar as the only thing she would eat at the time - as I said we were worried she was thin at the time.

I did hope at the time that the problem would turn out to be something that anti biotic ear drops would solve, but sadly that was not the case.

I know about Burns, James wellbeloved, Fish4Cats, etc. but am loath to buy lots of diferent sorts and keep swapping them gradually, risking upsetting her tum too.

I'll try omitting the Cesar and see if she'll eat her dry food without it for today and buy some Nature's Diet tomorrow at P@H. Do you give it without dry food, just on it's own?

Thanks.

12. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I give it with Ziwipeak which is kind of a dried raw food but is very expensive and she wouldn't eat it on its own, only mixed with wet.

The Naturediet has rice in it - not sure if that's a possible allergen or not - but no other grains/cereals. Kenzie loves the fish variety.

You can feed it on it's own as it's a complete food.

Hopefully someone else will be along soon with a bit more knowledge than me :)

13. wilchil64

Thank you, I'll have a look in P@H tomorrow.

14. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Not tried these so cant say how good etc. but they were suggested by a vet writing for a dog mag, so would think its safe to assume would be ok.
    For Dirty waxy ears, or mildly infected ears, A weak solution of cider vinegar,
    one teaspoon to half a pint of water. Syringe into the ear canal, then massage the area and wipe the ear clean. He says it beats any commercial poducts in his experience.

For mild inflammation of the ear canal he also reccomends a few drops of warm almond or olive oil put into the ear followed by gentle message, that should apparently float most problems to the surface.

#14 Sled dog hotel, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  15. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We clip our Cav's nails quite short, as she doesn't get much pavement walks, and likes to scratch every so often. We have fed Skinners and AG to our Holly, but she preferes raw, however as I read you don't have enough space that's obv a no go...

16. wilchil64

I'm just looking into Prize Choice as we have a Jollyes nearby and they stock it. That would mean I don't have to keep loads in the house, taking up space in my freezer.

Just reading my way through the Raw Feeding thread before I decide what to do. My mum had this thing about chicken bones getting stuck in dogs' throats, and I was brought up to think that's what would happen!

What do you feed?

I haven't clipped Ruby's claws yet, I took her to the vet last year for them clipping. Im so worried about catching the quick, although she is very good at keeping still, I've been trimming the fur on her paws today and she was as good as gold. Are the Mikki clippers they sell at P@H suitable for dogs (I saw them recommended for cats on here)?

17. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

Whatever food you choose, be it wet or kibble, make sure it has ABSOLUTELY NO grains/cereal in it. In many cases of itchy skin this is this cause. If it is due to food then by the swapping diet, in 4 weeks or so, sometimes sooner, the itching will have stopped

I have seen many dogs turned around with only a diet change but it has to be grain free (double check ingredients, if unsure ask on here) or raw if you were so inclined

18. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Try Wafcol Salmon and potato, it's hypoallergenic and great for itchy skin. Think James wellbeloved also do some hypoallergenic foods too. You can get them both at pets at home. Have you tried Stronghold from the vets - it might be mites or mange mites and this should get rid of it. It's like frontline but better and treats more things including fleas and sarcoptic mange, which can also make them very itchy (my dog was treated for food allergies for 18 months when it was really sarcoptic mange)

I would definitely get some Thornit though.

19. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Any ideas of the name of the drops the vet gave you? My vet was useless and kept giving me Canaural which did nothing at all whereas Surolan cleans his ears up really quickly, some drops are just cheap and rubbish from the vet I think :(

Re food if you do a search on the forum you will get lots of info up :)

20. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Personally I would clip her nails, put the socks on the back feet until you get to the Vets and I would be asking him to take some swabs to send off to find out what the root of infection is.

Good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice