Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cavalier with diarrhea

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lerbo, Aug 10, 2009.

1. lerbo

lerbo PetForums Junior

Hi I've just joined! I have a 3 yr old Cavalier called Cody. He has suffered wih diarrhea since a puppy. I have, with my vet, tried all sorts of diets and he is currently on salmon and potato dry food with added tinned salmon (he won't eat dry food alone!)

He has bouts of diarrhea but has just started vomiting early morning. He wakes at 5 or 6 am drooling and starts heaving and making a oughing noise then vomits yellow bile. After that he seems fine, if a little quiet.

His tummy makes very loud gurgling noises too.

His current food is Purina HA salmon and potato dry kibble.

I feel like I'm not getting anywhere as just as he seems well, we go back to it all again. I love him dearly and wonder what I can do next?

Thanks to all

UPDATE.... Just back from vets! Saw a different vet who gave Cody a thorough exam. He's got recurring ear infection which he swabbed so they can give him specific anti-biotics as it is not clearing up using regular drops. He recommended I keep him on his salmon and potato dry food and cook some brown rice, fish and potato which I know he likes and can tolerate. I can add veg too.
    Cody has not been sick since yesterday at 5am and seems to have settled down. He has now been wormed and had yearly booster jab. Cost a fortune, but it's the right thing to do for your pets... I may claim for the earswab and medication as it will be an ongoing problem (swab cost £60 !) So, onwards..... today he is full of beans so fingers crossed it will last!
    Thanks for everyone's help and advice, much appreciated

#1 lerbo, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Has your vet said it is colitis?? as my dog use to suffer with this until we found out what triggers the attacks which is certain proteins in some dry dog food he is now on Hills D/D wet and dry and so far no further attacks. So have a word with your vet and see what they say.

3. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

If your vet cant help who can?...i think i would go back to vet petal and ask if they can do more there seems to be something wrong with your puppy, what about the breeder you got you puppy of can you call them back and ask if any of the siblings are ok?

Hope your we dogs get better i know how you feel xx

4. lerbo

lerbo PetForums Junior

Thanks all. Have appointment at vet tomorrow!
    Tried to contact breeder several times but get no reply! Have emailed and phoned! Not a good sign! Is a rep breeder, registered with kennel club too. I only wanted advice from her, like you say, any siblings with same problems so can get some help!

Cody has been quiet all day, but no sick or poops which is good!
    x

5. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

The problem with vets is that most of them really don't have much idea about nutrition, if your feeding a food with a load of cereals in it your wee one could be having a problem with that. Is he only bringing up bile in the morning, it could be that he's just needing something to eat, I always give my pair a treat before they go to bed and that sees them through the night until their breakfast at 7.

Terri

#5 Kinski, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  6. rona

rona Guest

The only food our Chessie can eat without it affecting his tum is Chappie wet food, have you tried this? Vets always used to recommend this for delicate tums. It does however contain a lot of cereal, so if this is your dogs trigger then it may not work.
    I would be very concern about the vomiting.
    Have you been seeing the same vet since puppy hood?
    Maybe getting a second opinion would be a good idea, 3 years is a very long time to have diarrhea

7. lerbo

lerbo PetForums Junior

Thanks Rona, yes same vet since puppy. See what they say in the morning.
    Never heard of chappie being recommended for delicate tums, will ask vet...:)

8. rona

rona Guest

They probably won't tell you because they don't stock it and it's cheap.
    It was what was used before all these dry foods came along:)

9. lerbo

lerbo PetForums Junior

Ha ! Let you know what they say......
    x

10. rona

rona Guest

Just noticed your other thread, Chappie original is mainly fish :D

11. lerbo

lerbo PetForums Junior

Really? Am going to google it now! Thank you

12. rona

rona Guest

Just checked it, it has chicken as well :(

13. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Naturediet do a fish flavour. No chicken in it

14. lerbo

lerbo PetForums Junior

AN update on Cody......... good news! He has been on Nature diet this week and his poop is solid...no diarrhoea at all !!!! It's the best he's been for ages! I am so thrilled and I am sure he feels so much better too!
    The awful gurgling noises from his guts has gone. I am sure this food has made a huge difference to him even though he is not exactly woofing it down! I can see the ingredients in it, large pieces of fish, rice and veg and it even smells yummy!

Thank you to everyone for your kind support, I will keep in touch with this site as it is wonderful.
    xx

15. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

That's brilliant news, long may it continue :D

Terri

16. rona

rona Guest

So glad things are better :)
    Glad you are staying :)
    Get posting :)

17. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

What Rona said but adding something.
    We need pictures :D.

Terri

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice