Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cavachons

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Scott Gemmell, May 13, 2017.

1. Scott Gemmell

Scott Gemmell PetForums Newbie

Guys,

Just joined the site as being doing a bit of research into buying a Cavachon to join the family. Not many breeders in Scotland so it's looking likely need to make a little trek down south. Does anyone have any hints or tips what to look out for or even a breeder to go to. Not looking to majorly splash the cash.

Thanks

Scott

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Then you will have to be extremely careful about where you get your puppy. Most likely a backyard breeder who won't have done the health tests and won't care if you get a badly bred puppy who is often at the vets and has temperamental issues.

Make sure you get some good pet insurance.

simplysardonic likes this.
  3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I don't know any Cavachon breeders. There will be a few who do it correctly I am sure. But it's a cross breed that has become rather popular so there are many unscuplous breeders out there.

Whatever the breeder or type or cross then for me the usual rules when looking to find a good 'breeder' apply ....the most important to me being, know and trust your breeder.

Others for me would be; don't trust free ads, ask questions about the mum and the dad, make sure you see the m other with her pups, and ask what health tests have been done (and decide if they have done enough.) Cavaliers can have health issues and an untested Cavvie should not be bred from as this can cause unnecessary suffering to the offspring. The idea that as a cross it will be healthier isn't true.

So I suppose my advice is do your homework ....... or go for a health tested Cavalier or Bichon ...both lovely breeds :D

J

4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

OP, have you checked any of the rescues to ask if they have a Cavachon in good health?

Scott Gemmell likes this.
  5. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

If you're not looking to pay decent money for a puppy, then why not go to a rescue? There's dosens of cachons, cavapoos and similar cute crossbreeds and mongrels there.

simplysardonic likes this.
  6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I agree with @shadowmare - if you're looking for a low-cost crossbreed, then definitely go to a rescue centre. Many will also have puppies available.

Scott Gemmell and simplysardonic like this.
  7. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

There is no such thing as a Cavashon, it's a Cavalier crossed with a Bichon Frise. With a few minor exceptions most people who breed these and similar crosses are puppy farmers and backyard breeders because they are fashionable at the moment.

If you are after a mongrel puppy then there will likely be plenty in your local rescues.

FeelTheBern and simplysardonic like this.
  8. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

As others above have said if you're not looking to 'splash the cash' then I suggest you look into a rescue.

Generally cheap puppies off the internet are cheap for a reason & may well end up costing you more in the long term.

9. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Absolutely.

J

Scott Gemmell likes this.
  10. Scott Gemmell

Scott Gemmell PetForums Newbie

Cheers one and all for your helpful and thoughtful replies. It's not something I want to rush into and make the right decision.
    Have heard a few stories though of not necessarily trust breeders who are charging very high prices..... because they can just be as bad.

Main thing I have been asking is to see the little one mixing with both the litter and the parents. Seeing the parents too and also asking about health checks.

Does that seem fair??

Scott

11. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi

There is a difference between health checks and health tests.

Health checks are when the vet checks the pup / mum and everything seems OK. It doesn't tell you anything about the genetics of the animal or whether it is likely to get a host of genetic diseases. Cavs in particular can get a number or issues which are distressing and also expensive to treat. Some of these don't become detectable till the animal is older.

Health tests are done by the breeder on the bitch and also should be done on the stud dog to determine whether they have any of these inherited problems and therefore whether the pups would inherit them. They are usually relatively expensive to do so only good breeders will carry them out.

As these popular crosses are often produced by puppy farms but with a respectable "family" to front the sale these dogs will be very unlikely to have the tests - where is the profit if they did ? However some are getting clever knowing that people ask so they will often fake the paperwork so all looks good.

It is possible to get a list of the necessary health tests from the breed club websites for cavs and bichons. If you get the name of bitch and stud you can also check the health test results online. Other posters can tell you where and what to look for.

12. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

13. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Definitely the price charged isn't everything, especially when it comes to popular crossbreeds.

Beware of 'middlemen' posing as private, small scale breeders, there have been increasing numbers of puppy farmers using people like this to dupe the public into thinking they're buying a puppy bred in a home environment.

Health tests are different to health checks- health checks are a quick once-over to make sure an animal is physically healthy at that given moment.

Health tests are more complex, & carried out to ensure that parents are free of certain inherited diseases, so with a crossbreed you would be best to look into what tests are required for each breed (cavaliers for example should have an MRI & other tests) & ensure the breeder has done these.

http://www.dogbreedhealth.com/bichon-frise/

http://www.dogbreedhealth.com/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel/

Make sure you ask to see copies of the health testing documentation, or that there's an online record (for KC registered purebred dogs you will need the kennel names of the parents so you can look it up on the KC website):

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/mateselect/test/

Looking into the health testing for both breeds is especially important if one or both of the parents are a cav/bichon mix (F1b, F2, multigen etc) rather than a bichon & a cavalier (F1), as there is more chance of doubling up of recessive genes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice